ET on Windows 7

Rexinator

Hi guys, its been a while since I've posted but that's besides the topic. Anyways I just recently got a new Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7 and was thinking about loading ET on to it but wanted to check in here 1st to see what kinda feedback I can get. In doing some google searching on the topic I noticed some ppl were having PB issues with it running on Win 7 and the fact that Wolf is not designed for it as well but I know there's gotta be some ways around it or tweaks that I must do in order to get it to run properly. This is where you guys come in and tell me how you've gotten yours to work and how you did it.

Any and all feedback is always appreciated.

I never had to do anything, it simply starts when I click the shortcut :P

Maybe that's because I have UAC completely disabled since it's useless and annoying.

Do you not still need it running as admin to write demos/condumps/screenshots etc?

run as administrator solved 9/10 problems of me on windows 7

the other problem was more a widescreen problem: black bars (solved using autoexec in fa menu)

Yea I almost forgot that PB is disabled, and what is UAC?

Oh yea and I actually forgot to mention that my current desktop is running WinXP and took a dump on me last week so I was thinking bout installing Win7 on the new hard drive I just got.

UAC?

user account control:

a way of windows to show a billion pop ups asking if you are sure you want to run a programme. Can be handy to detect some not so save programmes running but 99.99999% of the time just annoying like hell (I disabled it)

Do you not still need it running as admin to write demos/condumps/screenshots etc?

Nope, at least condumps and screenshots work perfectly fine without running it as admin.

Happy *in'

OK guys thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna install it later tonight at one of my buddies house and will probably try to install ET sometime this weekend on my laptop. As for my desktop it still has my ET on my other non affected hard drive so I guess I will refer back to this page in order to make sure I can get it working properly.

Making configs can be tricky when you install it in win7 under default directory, that is Program Files. Windows checks it as system folder then and restricts access to it. So I´d suggest to put it in c:\games\ET or something.

And you still need PB enabled to get XP saving, and not to get kicked.

I run Windows 7 Home edition and same thing, run ET shortcut as administrator.

Meanwhile, am planning to install both Windows 7 Ultimate edition and the latest Ubuntu this evening and see how these will go.

Meanwhile, am planning to install both Windows 7 Ultimate edition

Don't do it. I don't know if this is a common thing but Windows 7 Ultimate turned my relatives Alienware M17X with 8GB Ram / quad core, raided for performance on 2 Seagate Momentus 7200RPM discs into a sluggish P.O.S slower than my 3GB ram i5 (no raid) Dell XPS 15.. Reverting back to Home Premium solved it.

• Like 2