It's official now - we are a police state

PHANTASM

The 2012 National Defense Authorization Act has been passed. It allows the US military to detain anyone, indefinitely, without a trial, if they are suspected of terrorism.

All they have to do now is say "we think you are a terrorist" and you are gone for good. No trial, no defense attorney, no right to due process.

So now the government has overruled the Bill of RIghts. Game over.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/29/senate-votes-to-let-military-detain-americans-indefinitely_n_1119473.html

It's nice to live in a well-secured country, free of terrorist threats, but to eliminate potential threats through unconstitutional means isn't fair, nor is it justified.

This is why we have intelligence operations.

That's frigging horrific.. If used properly and fairly it could indeed be a very good decision, but realistically? This is going to go down in history.. And not in a good way.

I find it highly unlikely that a citizen will be detained for no reason. If they detain you, you more than likely deserve it for some reason or another and that is fine by me. I believe to err on the side of caution in this day and age.

I find it highly unlikely that a citizen will be detained for no reason. If they detain you, you more than likely deserve it for some reason or another and that is fine by me. I believe to err on the side of caution in this day and age.

I some what agree with that. But how far are you willing to take "rather safe than sorry"?

• Like 2

We are thankful for the police and the safety they provide. We don't have car bombings every day like in many other countries.

What is disturbing is that we are removing the error-correcting machinery of the legal system. How many innocent Muslims were abused in Gitmo? There was no way, until recently, for them to get a trial to prove or disprove their innocence. Without the protections of the legal system we are vulnerable to the same mistreatment we apply to enemy combatants.

We are thankful for the police and the safety they provide. We don't have car bombings every day like in many other countries.

What is disturbing is that we are removing the error-correcting machinery of the legal system. How many innocent Muslims were abused in Gitmo? There was no way, until recently, for them to get a trial to prove or disprove their innocence. Without the protections of the legal system we are vulnerable to the same mistreatment we apply to enemy combatants.

Let me tell you after living my whole life in the US and moving to Israel a year and a half ago I totally understand the need to be wary of terrorism. The reason the bill was needed in the first place is the ineptitude of Homland security TSA and the FBI to keep citizens safe using politically correct means, necessitating the need for a rediculous over the top law. If the US authorities would have the common sense to use racial profiling(lets face it if 99% of a certain crime is commited by a certain type its a no brainer) within its proper context there would be no need for this law. As long as the liberal media and politicians run the country into the ground there will never be proper security. I know the liberals will flame me for this but we got to start worrying about the big picture. Islam and muslims are responsible for the majority of terrorism in the world today. Listen to the Mullahs preach that its ok to kill women and children for Jihad. Our world is in some serious shite and we all have to wake up and smell the coffee.

• Administrators

Its gonna get vetoed by White House.

@csl Stop watching that one mullah on Hezbollah tv. Islam is not a problem. Problems are scores of uneducated people that are easily manipulated.

• Like 2

Reminds of the movie "in the name of the father", in which two young (and innocent) Irishmen get arrested after a IRA bombing, they get detained and questioned till they break and admit to a crime they never did and spent the next years in jail. Good luck US.

• Like 1

@csl Stop watching that one mullah on Hezbollah tv. Islam is not a problem. Problems are scores of uneducated people that are easily manipulated.

I agree but when its taught the way it is and the uneducated follow we get where we are today..............................

Hmmm, dont think I want to go to jail just because I may (I don't, you hear that US goverment?) have something like anarchist cookbook on my computer.

Goverment has thought this was a terror document for as long as I can remember and I believe they do have a monitor (of some kind) that picks up chatter about it.

Now I believe with the Internet bill trying to go thru and this, anything that might be subversive will wind you up "detained". Also since downloading copywrited material (of any kind) might be considered an attack on the finacial institutions and thus terrorism.

Hows that for paranoid. LOL. Ya so I dont trust the goverrment. Do you?

BTW I'm a voting, voter

I agree usually to these comments, however there is a single thing worrying me. "Without trail". One of the most important things is that if you are innocent, it can usually be shown during trial. Without trial, if you're innocent you're f***ed.

Arresting, good. Holding, acceptable. Indefinitely without trial, hell no.

I live in a different "we", but also here it isn't the case. However I must say that "we" don't have a fight for democracy, or the urge to kill people based on a different religion. "We" still have some morons walking around (e.g. Utoya), but that's only because the majority is mostly fine with the way it is. 2% more taxes, a bit less educational finance, building a new mosque, speeding limits, those aren't real issues. Getting killed/tortured by your government or fellow citizens because you do not agree upon them, that's for some worth building a car bomb.

That safety is not for the police, that is because "we" just don't give a rat's ass.