command line ping vs ingame ping difference

mAtEm

Hi!

I have an average in-game ping of around 93ms with a jitter of 10ms, but when i ping the server at 178.63.72.133 either by cmd line or winmtr, I get an average of 53ms (pretty stable), even when the game is running.

Is this difference normal?

Lagometer looks fine btw

Game feels fine and smooth. Just asking because someone complained about my highish ping.

Edited by mAtEm

Hi!

I have an average in-game ping of around 93ms with a jitter of 10ms, but when i ping the server at 178.63.72.133 either by cmd line or winmtr, I get an average of 53ms (pretty stable), even when the game is running.

Lagometer looks fine btw

Game feels fine and smooth. Just asking because someone complained about my highish ping.

No idea what they were talking about.. I monitored your ping for a minute or so after they said that, it was never below 90 or above 95. They obviously saw it wrong or something.. Probably butthurt because they failed to hit you so blamed your ping or something lol.

No idea what they were talking about.. I monitored your ping for a minute or so after they said that, it was never below 90 or above 95. They obviously saw it wrong or something.. Probably butthurt because they failed to hit you so blamed your ping or something lol.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Anyway, I just noticed that the high ping is shown only in the teams table. If enable the nq hud ping display, it shows a ping around 66.

• Clan Friend

It's normal to have a higher ping in the scoreboard, because the server sends you snapshots every 20th of a second (50ms), and you send commands to the server with a timing based on your fps and maxpackets. afaik your ping is the time passed from when you send a command to the server, to the moment when you receive a snapshot saying that the server has executed that (aforementioned) command.

That's why it changes according to your fps and maxpackets, to have the lowest ping possible you need to have 100fps + 100maxpackets.

Timenudge fakes your servertime so the game thinks you have a lower ping, but it's not useful at all, or rather it has advantages and disadvantages.

Another thing to consider is that your ping on the scoreboard is less precise than the ping you can see with cl_shownet 3 or those mods that show your ping.

Players who complain about opponents having high pings are just ignorants who parrot things heard from other ignorants,

(explanation follows)

since they ignore the fact that hit detection never takes enemy ping into account. Hit detection is a 'static' process, ping or movement doesn't count. (What's more, player pings are never used for anything else than the scoreboard or other non relevant things, not for hit detection). If your ping is high, then you can have more prediction errors so it's a disadvantage for you. And in fact everyone insults high pingers for being 'unhittable', but they try to have the lowest ping possible, so after all they are not so stupid as they seem.

It has been said over and over, but still there is a lot of ignorants who say things like this instead of stfu. I stopped playing etpro just for that. Morons watching the scoreboard after everry kill, then saying 'oh, you have a high ping, so you are unhit. me=pro, you=low unhit'

With antilag, you hit what you see, because the game sends you a snapshot with player positions, and the very same snapshot is stored by the server. When you shoot the server knows which snap you were watching (by reading from your message) and just retrieves that snapshot from memory, players are not rewinded by moving them, or similar bs one hears sometimes. Their positions are just stored and retrieved. At most, with some mods there is an interpolation between 2 snapshots.

Your own position is not changed by antilag, because the server takes into account that it will be equal to the one predicted by your client, and here is one reason for not hitting sometimes, if your ping is high and you are under fire (bullets push you on the server before your client 'knows') you can miss because you think you are shooting from a different position.

To summarize it as etpro coder once said: if you get owned by a high pinger then you suck. Period.

Warpers (players with unsteady pings or abusing low maxpackets etc.) are another story, but if you aim at them you will hit them the same way you hit any other player. Only that they are harder to track because their movement is uneven.

If someone says: 'I didn't hit you but I would have hit another player in the same position', he is an idiot because:

1. you can never recreate the same position again. Heraclitus said no man ever steps in the same river twice, I say no man can make the same fight (with the same coordinates) twice. So how the f. does he know if he cannot try it?

2. if two players are in the same position and they have the same animation, they will have the same hitboxes, so it's just stupid to think you can hit one and not the other.

People should blame their ping (prediction errors) and random bullets, not their opponent's ping when they don't hit.

Hi!

Lagometer looks fine btw

I got the same , I don't know why ....

before 1 month ago , It was same ping , but now Its not the same.

Thanks,

• Clan Friend

I got the same , I don't know why ....

before 1 month ago , It was same ping , but now Its not the same.

Thanks,

If you read my post, I have explained why. I see people tend not to read long posts :D

It can never be the same ping, in game it's always higher (unless you have some particular combination of ping, fps, and maxpackets that makes the difference minimum).

His difference is very high, so I guess it's because he doesn't play with 100 maxpackets

If you read my post, I have explained why. I see people tend not to read long posts :D

It can never be the same ping, in game it's always higher (unless you have some particular combination of ping, fps, and maxpackets that makes the difference minimum).

His difference is very high, so I guess it's because he doesn't play with 100 maxpackets

Great post BTW. At the time I couldn't find anything on this subject using google.

My initial thoughts were, that maybe this is some kind of a UDP vs TCP or port thing with my ISP throttling them differently :D

Actually my maxpackets is 100 and my fps is over 100, usually. Anyway I don't consider it a problem.

there is certainly a huge difference between command line ping and in game ping

First ingame doesnt use Windows cmd prompt.

When you use windows command prompt, it directly connects to the server,

when u use ingame console, there is one more layer between which is the game itself.

so when you check your ingame ping, the game itself takes some time to translate your actual ping. hence you get higher ingame ping.

think of it as running a virtual machine with in an operating system. when you are in a virtual machine, it feels like you are using you hardware resources,. but actually the main operating system is allocation virtual hardware for the virtual operating system,

if you check device manager within an operating system, you will see that your hardware resources are totally different from your actual hardware.

• Clan Friend

when u use ingame console, there is one more layer between which is the game itself.

That's true, but the game ping is a totally different thing, maybe you have noticed that some pings (48,98,148 etc.) are quite common, I guess it's because a server frame is 1 20th of a second, that is 50ms. The slowdown is due to the fact that you count the ping only when the server sends you a new frame, the server doesn't answer you at once like in real ping. And your commands can be hold because of cl_maxpackets and sent with a delay as well.

That is obviously going to be slower than an icmp packet sent straight away, and a server response which is sent at once.

There is a ping command in the game, but it just sends a getinfo to the server via udp, so you can't ping an ip that is not a server with that.

A little correction to the ping. The ping is the average between the time server sent a snapshot and the server receives the client acknowledgement for that snapshot. The average is calculated from all the received acknowledgements server has received during one server frame from that client. This is usually 50 ms.

The g_truePing which is can be enabled in ETPub, NQ, Nitmod and silEnT, is calculated as averaged difference between the previous server frame time and the time which the client informs was the server time of the snapshot plus the time difference the client engine thinks is between the client and the server times (this is never exact but always filtered anyway) minus timenudge if enabled. The ping is always 0 or over because the snapshot time of the server received by the client is behind one frame at least from the server previous frame time. This is actually the average difference between the latest snapshot server has sent and the latest snapshot client has received. But it is adjusted by the timedelta client engine attempts to estimate. Or something like that, the code for g_truePing is all around the engine source and the mod source.

• Clan Friend

A little correction to the ping. The ping is the average between the time server sent a snapshot and the server receives the client acknowledgement for that snapshot.

Ah, lol I focused more on the ping shown by /cl_shownet instead of the scoreboard one...

And that ping (in the snapshot) is calculated by the engine when the client parses a new snapshot coming from the server, right?

So it must be that time (when the snap arrived), minus the time when the command inside that snapshot was sent, that's why I said so.

But the ping in the scoreboard is actually as you said, thanks for pointing it out