would this be considered Police harassment of some sort?

Urine_Sample

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is this police harassment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Shut up & pay the tickets!

My registration on my Mark VIII has been suspended since July 26th '11 - Nov 26th '11, which is the earliest date i will be eligible to end the suspension.

Since the beginning of August, my vehicle, which is parked in private property parking lot of the apt complex i live, has been getting tickets for invalid registration almost every other day. I've been able to catch up with some of the sheriffs as they were issuing the tickets to show them the letter from the state notifying me of the timed suspension on my Mark to arrogantly prove that there's no need to issue a ticket that it is going to be nullified in the end.

Well as it turns out, even though I've taped the letter to the front grill and back trunk above the plates and inside the front windshield by the wipers where they leave the tickets, I've still managed to amount 31 tickets for invalid registration, each of em asking for a $50 handout, most of them issued by the same 3 star #s I had personally spoken to.

I'm awaiting response from an email I sent to a law firm that was involved in a recent class action lawsuit Cook County with a $55 million settlement for unlawful strip searches at the county jail. Maybe I can add this to their rep sheet.

What do you guys think?

Harassment, toss Cook County another class action lawsuit or "shut up and pay the damn fines!" ?

Harassment - possibly

In our experiences with the law and legal systems it's best to just pay the fines and shut up. I truly believe you are in the right but I don't see you winning. I've been fined many times for breaking minor laws on a business end and I just bite my tongue and pay them. Last thing you or anyone wants to do is paint a target on yourself or cause a vendetta. I'm glad we have laws and people to enforce them but many times as in your case the law is harassing people via bogus fines which is not right but it's just easier to go along with it and hope if and when you need help they will be there for you to return the favor.

You are in the right but my personal advice would be bite my tongue and pay the bullsh*t fines.

Edited by YMCMB

• Administrators

That is messed up, here if your vehicle is parked on the private property and you have the landlords permission to do so or if you are parked in your designated spot they cannot do anything. Obviously its just a cash grab by the city/state. And to have such a law where you are getting a ticket on a vehicle that is parked on private property is just wrong. I say sue the bastards.

That's what I was think at first about doing to the few tickets until I started seeing them build up.

Lets see... $50 x 31 tickets (so far...) would be $1550. However, most of them are over 30 days old so that means the fine has doubled on those older than 30 days, which is about 23 of them, so it'd actually would be something close to $3,000 altogether.

Now here's where it gets kind of shady. On 4 occasions I found the car in the morning with two tickets by same 3 star #s that have been spamming me. Say for example 1 would be for 9/12/11 at 11:42pm and then the other one being issued at 1:19am 9/13/11 & placed right next to the other ticket. Best part of it all is that on one of these double ticket nights, both tickets that were issued were by the same sheriff!!

What in the world are these idiots thinking?

Is why I'm eagerly awaiting to hear from the law firm i emailed because regardless of whether or not my plates are suspended, I don't think they can legally do that kind of stuff.

It is a cash grab attempt and I think legally they can and will do what they please. You are in the right but I would not make a attempt to sue but who knows maybe if the firm does contact back you can go for it. We each have our own ways and I'd just pay but either way I wish you nothing but the best on the outcome.

Edited by YMCMB

Police motto ... Serve and protect

I think they have all forgot it

.... they are the troll under the bridge waiting for your money

Why do police hide and run radar? Thats not about safety its about $$$$

everything that was good in the country has gone to sh!t so why not the police and

the court system.

selt belt ticket $300 .. making someones family go without food, yeah that will teach them to buckle up

this subject hits a nerve with me ... hope it works out ok for you

Police motto ... Serve and protect

I think they have all forgot it

.... they are the troll under the bridge waiting for your money

Why do police hide and run radar? Thats not about safety its about $$$$

everything that was good in the country has gone to sh!t so why not the police and

the court system.

selt belt ticket $300 .. making someones family go without food, yeah that will teach them to buckle up

this subject hits a nerve with me ... hope it works out ok for you

Police here are bad for sneaky behaviour. They put speeding cameras on the top of hills catching drivers on the descend, hide around the corner of pubs, pulling everyone in.

I do really hate that law. Seat belts are uncomfortable and I will never wear one. I think I've been pulled over 4 or 5 times since the law passed and thankfully let off each time with a warning. My husband on the other hand has gotten two of them and I don't think they where quite $300 but not sure I'd have to look it up.

EDIT: There where actually $280.

I apologize you are right.

Edited by YMCMB

• Administrators

I do really hate that law. Seat belts are uncomfortable and I will never wear one. I think I've been pulled over 4 or 5 times since the law passed and thankfully let off each time with a warning. My husband on the other hand has gotten two of them and I don't think they where quite $300 but not sure I'd have to look it up.

They are made for your safety and not to be comfortable. Use your head ffs, don't you value your life. Please don't reproduce.

• Like 2

They are made for your safety and not to be comfortable. Use your head ffs, don't you value your life. Please don't reproduce.

I do, not had a wreck since I was a teenager though. Also my car has like 4 air bags and our escalade has like 4 as well which provides some protection. Ofc, any kids or minors are in the appropriate seating and minors are forced to wear seat-belts but as a adult I'd rather not wear one. Little late for that last part and pretty sure my kids will be well off and possibly more so then yours (implying you do or will have kids). Why so negative?

Edited by YMCMB

• Administrators

I do, not had a wreck since I was a teenager though. Also my car has like 4 air bags and our escalade has like 4 as well which provides some protection. Ofc, any kids or minors are in the appropriate seating and minors are forced to wear seat-belts but as a adult I'd rather not wear one. Little late for that last part and pretty sure my kids will be well off and possibly more so then yours (implying you do or will have kids). Why so negative?

There is no telling when your next wreck will happen also airbags are made to work in conjunction with the seatbealts, a airbag itself will not save you, a bigger car will not save you. Lead by example and show your kids that wearing seatbelts is important and could one day save their lives. The reason that I am so negative is that I was hit about 10 years ago by a guy who ran a red light where I had a seatbealt and I had few bumps and he did not and almost lost his head in the accident. I have 2 kids and they understand the importance of the seatbelts. Don't know how your kids will be better off if they lose you because of something this stupid.

LOL @ Airbags saving you..

Airbags are designed to work WITH a seatbelt.. Have you any idea what damage they can do if you're not wearing a seatbelt? The slightest bump (if it were to set them off), could (and almost definitely would) break your neck if you didnt have a seatbelt. mechanics die working on dashes with airbags, when they don't know what they're doing. Airbags are timed to release at a precise moment, in conjunction with the force the seatbelt tolerates before locking.

Sorry, but I've seen you acting the smart-arse all over the forums, and this is the most ridiculously idiotic stuff I've ever read. Lol.

@ Urine - This is undoubtedly a problem with the police, not you. They are not checking anything, they're just slapping you up with fines - which actually, is against the law if you have a SORN (or whatever you guys call it), which is supposed to be laid down by them.

On private property, it doesn't matter if your car is safe / road-legal / taxed etc.. You can do what you like with it (within reason) on private property providing you have the property owners' consent.

The best reason for a seat belt I have is if something happens and my car goes out of control for whatever reason, I have a much better chance of regaining control. With out a seat belt I could be flying around the car instead of still behind the wheel.