OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name HOME-PC

System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario

System Model GX618AA-ABA SR5350F

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.18, 11/20/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"

User Name Home-PC\Home

Time Zone Central Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.00 GB

Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB

Available Virtual Memory 2.65 GB

Page File Space 2.29 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Network

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Alright, so I've had this problem for a while now and I'm at the end of my rope.

Some of my programs won't/can't connect to the internet, and I have no idea why. I've ruled out my Firewall and I'm pretty sure it's not AVG, although the issue did start at around the time I updated to version 2012..

2 of my browsers won't even connect

Google chrome has the error message: Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): The server refused the connection.

Firefox just says :Unable to connect; Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at soandsowebaddress

Not even my in-game browsers are working..

But Internet Explorer works just fine.

And it's affecting other programs as well. Programs that require an internet connection to install or update fail because they can't establish a connection. I'm pretty sure this is the root of my COD4 1.7 problem too, because I can't get it to load the master server list, or connect to any servers (Although for some reason I'm able to do this in 1.6).

I somehow managed to solve it at one point, and managed to get Chrome working for a couple days, then it started again, only this time it's spread to Firefox.

I've tried changing my DNS settings, I don't use a proxy for my LAN, every one of those programs is permitted through my firewall, I've done a Malware clean up, as well as a virus check, any and all found were removed and the problem presists...no idea what to do anymore so I figured I would reach out to the Wizards here in hopes that maybe they would have an idea that I haven't thought of yet.

If you need any further details please ask and I will supply answers.

I used my epic google skills (you have probably did the same thing but hey I can try it ^^)

EDIT: just saw the spoiler XD, I found a problem with win7 64-bit => 32-bit programmes not connecting to the internet (maybe it's same with vista 64-bit if you have 64-bit)

problem I mentioned

Atm I found something else and going to try to reproduce it => nope failed hard...

Edited by DrJoske

I used my epic google skills (you have probably did the same thing but hey I can try it ^^)

EDIT: just saw the spoiler XD, I found a problem with win7 64-bit => 32-bit programmes not connecting to the internet (maybe it's same with vista 64-bit if you have 64-bit)

problem I mentioned

Atm I found something else and going to try to reproduce it ^^.

I'm currently running 32-bit :\

The only other thing I find is

internet explorer => settings => connections => lan settings => all checkboxes have to be unchecked

But I guess you have done even more google skill actions then me and already checked this :s

Think you will need a high rank Wizard which uses a high lvl spell to solve you problem

EDIT: chuckun is high lvl wizard , I bet he can solve it ^^

ps. do you have other user accounts to try it on, maybe it's a user account that is corrupted => had that once but then no programme could connect to the internet

Edited by DrJoske

Does disabling all AV's and Firewalls temporarily solve it?

Also, check your router firewall isn't blocking common ports.

I've tried disabling both AVG and Windows firewall and tried again and nada, no change. And where do I check for ports? all I could find was programs

ps. do you have other user accounts to try it on, maybe it's a user account that is corrupted => had that once but then no programme could connect to the internet

Jaie had me run firefox.exe -p and create a new profile, still no connection :\

Also uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox and it didn't solve it either

Mmmm.... dunno if you tried this one (also a google find ^^):

-open cmd (win flag +r => cmd => enter)

-type netsh winsock reset

-enter

-restart pc

I doubt this will works => according to people on different forums it works, but other says it doesn't.

Well im not sure but somewhere on your router firewall (if you have one) it should have a blacklist or something.. Perhaps to make it an easier job, try disabling your router firewall completely and see if it helps.. But I doubt that's it if it only recently begun..

Well im not sure but somewhere on your router firewall (if you have one) it should have a blacklist or something.. Perhaps to make it an easier job, try disabling your router firewall completely and see if it helps.. But I doubt that's it if it only recently begun..

I'm not sure how to access that information :x I know my way around a computer well enough to get into trouble, but internet stuff has always eluded me...

Step 1 uninstall the pos AVG

Step 2 connect to internet

I cant/wont use AVG as this has happened to me before

Of course on the off chance this doesnt work step 3 would be to reinstall avg *shudder* but I would certainly recommend a different anti-virus Like Microsoft security essentials

Of course on the off chance this doesnt work step 3 would be to reinstall avg *shudder* but I would certainly recommend a different anti-virus Like Microsoft security essentials

AVG is indeed bad, but MS Security Essentials can't be any better. Kaspersky Internet Security. Buy an old version (2010 / 2011) @ a quarter of the price, then download the 2012 trial version, use the 2010/2011 key on it - it works, Kaspersky even say so and i do it every year. Best protection I've ever used.

I'm not sure how to access that information :x I know my way around a computer well enough to get into trouble, but internet stuff has always eluded me...

most of the time you can 'browse' to your router

just enter the ip of the router (thought it was the standard gateway but don't shoot me if I'm wrong) in IE (that one is working I thougt ^^) or maybe try another one,

then you probably have to enter some username and pass (on most routers => standerd password: just google the router typ: password ^^)

Step 1 uninstall the pos AVG

Step 2 connect to internet

I cant/wont use AVG as this has happened to me before

if you decide to remove AVG use the AVG remover so you are sure everything is removed (AVG is sometime an a**h**** to remove)

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

don't use microsoft, use AVAST (dam I love avast and pretty much hates microsoft security essentials => way to slow to update when updating 200 old computers, but that's just because I had to do that ^^)

Nothing wrong with Avast I use it too. That said, it takes forever to run and I dont like leaving my computer on all night ( its in my bedroom).

Lol I just let it run during the time I'm using my pc, no problem with that at all

but yeah I takes some time, but I had worse ....

+ still think ant-virus software is just a myth so I'm used to format my pc like every 6 month (format => image back on and done)

but we are going offtopic...