Global warming could bring 50-degree days

DJ aka GDR DJ

Global warming could bring 50-degree days

A scientist at the University of Kiel has warned of summer temperatures reaching nearly 50 degrees Celsius in Germany if global warming continues.

Prof Mojib Latif from the university's Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences told Germany radio culture he had seen the United Nations report on extreme weather due to be published on Friday and that global warming could have enormous effects.

"Our whole way of life might be totally turned on its head," he told the radio network.

Weak, old and sick people would be badly affected by the increase in temperatures during the summer, when rivers might begin drying up making it difficult to cool power stations, Latif said.

"The trends that we are already seeing today would continue," he said.

The United Nations report to be released on November 18 predicts a range of catastrophes, according to the AFP news service, Which saw a summary of its conclusions. It says global warming is likely to increase average temperatures by between two and possibly five degrees in the coming years 90th

This will increase droughts around the world including in central Europe, North America and southern Africa and also warns that warming oceans will make more powerful cyclones, the AFP reported.

Germany has been a leader in trying to tackle climate change but has struggled come to agreement with Major Greenhouse Gas emitters like the United States and China.

This summer Chancellor Angela Merkel said time was running out to try to stop global warming.

"A number of countries announced (in the wake of the 2010 Cancun summit) voluntary measures, but these will not suffice to reach our objective," Merkel said. "We also need measures, targeted measures, and if possible that treaties are legally binding . That's what will be difficult. But in any case, time is running short as the Kyoto Protocol is soon to expire, "she added.

The Kyoto Protocol sets binding targets for Which decreasing greenhouse emissions is set to expire in 2012.

Source

DJ

Seeing is believing, and I don't see any global warming yet.

The best way to stop global warming - don't think about it :]

I agree and I'll admit I know nothing on the issue but all I know is it don't seem to be directing effecting us at this time so I don't think about it at all, millions of problems in the world and this is not one I think about.

Is it real?

I don't know or really have a opinion on it to be honest.

I agree and I'll admit I know nothing on the issue but all I know is it don't seem to be directing effecting us at this time so I don't think about it at all, millions of problems in the world and this is not one I think about.

Is it real?

I don't know or really have a opinion on it to be honest.

I believe it is; I've researched the topic before and I try to stay updated when it's in the news.

The only way to decide for yourself is look at the research out there, what scientists are saying...

There are a lot of ways they've proven that the world is getting hotter.

Seeing is believing, and I don't see any global warming yet.

I have to dissagree on that one. Believing is having no empirical evidence and still thinking its true. Has nothing to do with science. :P

As far as i know (maybe i got it the wrong way, though^^) the whole phrase "global warming" is misleading and scientists prefer the term "climate change" as it also implies that the weather gets more "extreme" (cold/hot/hurricans etc.)and not just warmer.

Happy *in'

EDIT: If you're interested in this topic you might want to watch the series by potholer54 on youtube

Thats the first video of the series :)

• Administrators

Global warming is real, but it has been real before every iceage we had, since we are overdue for one plan for things to get hotter before they start cooling way way down again.

Holy crap.. People over here moan when the temperature goes into the 30 degrees which is like one a year sort of thing, I'd love to see their reaction if it does reach 50 degrees or higher!

Lol same here :D

• 3 weeks later...

Global Warming is a hoax:P There are scientists that are studying it and have proven that it isn't really happening. The scientists that think is real want to keep it alive for publicity/so they aren't wrong. Don't worry about it guys....worlds not going to end :)