MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat) - Who's had them?

DisturbedOne

If you're a current or past member of the US Armed Forces, or have eaten MRE's before... what do you think about them?

For those who don't know, MREs are Meals Ready to Eat, basically the boxed "never expire" rations that the US feeds its troops on the field. They are high calorie, high carb meals meant to provide you with nutrients and energy for long days of hard work. However, they are very ow in fiber and it's impossible to go #2 with them haha!

I personally love most flavors, "Spaghetti" is the best in my opinion, however "Omelette" is pretty good too. I use quotes because I have no idea what these REALLY are made out of, because most MREs are thick and pasty, but I'm weird and like them all anyway!

Anybody else have opinions on these?

Ive has Aussie ration packs before :) they get Weetbix and m&m's lol.....wasnt game enough to try the meals, I just stuck with the m&m's lol

Never heard of wettbix, but M&M's, awesome! Ours have "cocoa" which is okay, and the "toffee" cubes are alright... but nothing like actual M&Ms!

Now idk the actually MRe´s, but as i was a Kid the American Army has done some maneuver´s in my area. We used to change cigaretts and coke against equipment ,uniforms and Food packs. The food packs were good. but is long time between this :P

What i know better is the German militrary food "EPA" One Man Pack. I had to eat these a long time :wacko: although I've never served in the military :lol

• Like 1

What i know better is the German militrary food "EPA" One Man Pack. I had to eat these a long time :wacko: although I've never served in the military :lol

I quickly looked this up on Google, it's pretty much the same thing as American MRE. That's interesting regarding the Army, what country are you from?

Many mre went in my belly....Dehydrated beef patty was awesome. Use to take the creamer, sugar and cocoa and combine a little of each in the creamer pack and cook in fire. Nom nom treat called Ranger cookie. Stay away from Chicken ala King....

As a teenager, me and a group of friends would go up in the hills and have 2 or 3 day war games. We would go to the local Army/Navy surplus store and stock up on MREs. Spaghetti was the best, have to agree.

Just a side note of teenage stupidity.... we had our war games using BB guns. Minimum range 25 yards and maximum 2 pumps. We did have a neat field built mortar. 2 or 3 soda cans, duct tape, lighter fluid, firecracker wicks. Perfect for launching a tennis ball several hundred yards on an enemy position. ;)

• Like 1

As a teenager, me and a group of friends would go up in the hills and have 2 or 3 day war games. We would go to the local Army/Navy surplus store and stock up on MREs. Spaghetti was the best, have to agree.

Just a side note of teenage stupidity.... we had our war games using BB guns. Minimum range 25 yards and maximum 2 pumps. We did have a neat field built mortar. 2 or 3 soda cans, duct tape, lighter fluid, firecracker wicks. Perfect for launching a tennis ball several hundred yards on an enemy position. ;)

the good old days BB gun wars...my friend stil has one embedded in his cheek 25 years later....sweet memory of BB gun wars

Never heard of wettbix, but M&M's, awesome! Ours have "cocoa" which is okay, and the "toffee" cubes are alright... but nothing like actual M&Ms!

I've gotten M&M before...its all the luck of the draw (or issuing in most cases) but then again I just went up to privates and stole their food sooo.....

however "Omelette" is pretty good too

You need tastebuds. Omelette is only good because of the candy ( i think skittles if I can remember correctly). Otherwise its like eating that frozen crap (eggs) they sell in the store now a days. Rather have REAL eggs.

I never had BB Guns, we were a bit smarter and played airsoft with automatic rifles. Plastic still hurts, but definitely not metal!

@speedfact: As an Officer in the Corps I won't expect to have any issues with that, especially as a "pogue" (I have air contract), as you gunners say. My younger brother is enlisted 0331 gunner with the 31st MEU, and I get shit all the time from him. Also, everyone and their mom tells me I'm off for enjoying the "omelette" MRE, but something about that egg paste really hits the spot!