How to get a new ETKey / GUID since PB dropped ET Support. - Enemy Territory

Chuckun

Okay, as of ~4th October, EvenBalance (EB) and Activision no longer have a contract for PunkBuster support on Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and thus they have dropped support for it.

You will no longer be issued ETKeys by EB, and thus you will no longer be able to get new GUIDs.

However, I have created an ETKey Generator for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, hosted here at Fearless Assassins.

Okay so step by step I'll explain how to get your new ETKey, and how to use it.

First, go to the ETkey Generator for Enemy Territory, solve the CAPTCHA image, and click Generate Etkey!

You will be prompted to Open or Save the etkey file. Save the file.

Once it has downloaded (this should only take a second or two as it's a very small file), copy the etkey file to the relevant folder:

WinXP: C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\

Vista/Win7 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\

Vista/Win7 32bit: C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\

Mac OS X: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/etmain/

Linux (*): /home/username/.etwolf/etmain/

*Based on Ubuntu setup.

Note: On some installations of Windows 7, you may also need to copy your new ETKey file to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\ET\etmain\

You should now be good to go - start up wolfenstein and you should have a new GUID. You can check by typing /cl_guid into your console and seeing if it displays any letters/numbers.

Not working?

If /cl_guid reveals that you have an *Unknown* guid, join a server then type the following:

/pb_cl_enable; pb_system 1; pb_writecfg; reconnect;

This should solve all issues.

Pro tip: to save this problem in the future, read my tutorial on Backing Up & Restoring your ETKey!

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

Just figured out something about the generated ETkeys that seems to cause some problem. When some player get's a new key and connects to the server it works fine until he's disconnecting. When the player's reconnecting the GUID is lost and XP are gone again even if he followed your tutorial.

The step that seems fixing that problem is setting the file as "read only" in the explorer though, maybe you can add this step to your tutorial, Chuchu?

Just figured out something about the generated ETkeys that seems to cause some problem. When some player get's a new key and connects to the server it works fine until he's disconnecting. When the player's reconnecting the GUID is lost and XP are gone again even if he followed your tutorial.

The step that seems fixing that problem is setting the file as "read only" in the explorer though, maybe you can add this step to your tutorial, Chuchu?

Ok, thanks for that, I'll look into it. Most of the problem for people is that they dont write it to pbconfig.. But if the etkey itsself is getting deleted, then read only may help.. but not if they're running as admin :/

Ok, thanks for that, I'll look into it. Most of the problem for people is that they dont write it to pbconfig.. But if the etkey itsself is getting deleted, then read only may help.. but not if they're running as admin :/

It even happens when you're running it with admin privileges, I guess the generator can't set the flag itself so my Key got deleted after I got a new one. Thanks got I made a copy before I figured that out. :D

It even happens when you're running it with admin privileges, I guess the generator can't set the flag itself so my Key got deleted after I got a new one. Thanks got I made a copy before I figured that out. :D

No what I'm saying is; read-only or not, an admin privileged instance of ET.exe would still be able to remove the etkey file if it wanted to..

No what I'm saying is; read-only or not, an admin privileged instance of ET.exe would still be able to remove the etkey file if it wanted to..

Well, ok. But it's still some kind of schizophrenic that ET got the chance to delete a file that is necessary for its purpose.

Tutorial has been updated to reflect an additional step when securing the GUID with /pb_cl_enable.. The addition is a simple /pb_writecfg to write the PB enablement to your pb config file.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Need Help! I can´t get my guid. Keeps saying "unknown".

And get this, my xp is never saved, it´s stuck at like 195. I uninstalled, re installed, bout 50 times. I need help. Oh and now when i try to go to jaymod 1 or 2 it says that my info isn´t validate or something, doesn´t let me in. What do i dooooo?

thanks

Have you tried this already?

Not working?

If /cl_guid reveals that you have an *Unknown* guid, join a server then type the following:

/pb_cl_enable; pb_system 1; pb_writecfg; reconnect;

This should solve all issues.

In myetdaigaveitand wentand downloadedanewetkey.orgetkeyand the problemneverappeared :camper

Please speak english.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • Leader

I installed ET via admin to the default location on Vista64. I noticed that when I want to add a file to that "/etmain" access-protected folder, I have to select the proper tabs on two popup windows. The first one has 'continue' pre-selected, but the second has 'cancel' pre-selected. If you absent-mindedly press enter for both questions, the file will not be saved.