Brightness Problem

Shana

I've got strange problem when i play et sometimes my brightness configuration is going down. I see its 2.0 but it's 1.0 and each 10, 15, 20 mins i have to change my brightenss again.

Nope. I'm playing on stationary pc and I've ubuntu 8.04(that version is the best for et)

Edited by mazi1313

Looking through walls(caen 2 near church) is quite good but you can't shoot through them. Any other solvation to my brightness problem? Btw thanks for help.

• Clan Friend

Looking through walls(caen 2 near church) is quite good but you can't shoot through them. Any other solvation to my brightness problem? Btw thanks for help.

My brightness goes down every time I need to check something on the internet while I play, I run et on a second X server (which also makes me 999 every time I switch :( ), when I switch back to et I have to set my r_gamma again, so I have made a bind, plus I noticed that I have to set it to 1.0 before setting it to the higher value again or it won't work.

I had the same problem on windows with et minimizer, but on windows I can solve with r_ignorehwgamma 1. Pity that on Linux this cvar is not implemented.

Maybe your problem is different, I don't know if you minimize et or not

yeah I have the same problem on my laptop (with fedora core, and every other distro I have run). My work around has been to start ET as a window, connect to the server. once I am connect I go full screen. After you go full screen you can use your brightness shortcut to brigten your screen. but do it before the game loads or you will have to restart x.

• Clan Friend

I use this script to run ET on Fedora (maybe it could be done in a more elegant way but I am nub :D )

#!/bin/bash
if ! xauth list | grep ':1'; then
echo "adding cookie..."
xauth add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 `xauth list | grep :0 | sed 's/[[:print:]]*KIE-1  //'`
else
echo "cookie already added:"
echo `xauth list | grep :1 | sed 's/[[:print:]]*KIE-1  //'`
fi
xinit /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/etsound +set r_fullscreen 1 $* -- :1

and then in my config I have this:

bind F9 "r_gamma 1.0; wait 30; r_gamma 2.0"

so when I ctrl+alt+f7 back to ET I just press f9 to get my gamma back. I set it to 1 then to my value (2.0) because if I set it to 2.0 straight away it doesn't change, at least in the past it didn't havent tried it recently.

• Clan Friend

On my ubuntu i can't minimize et :( and got stil the same problem(got ati drive)

That's why I run it on a second X server (check that script in my post above), so I can switch to the other desktop with ctrl+alt+Fn, only I have to solve the 999 ping problem (if it's possible at all).

I haven't tried hard to understand why it goes 999, because I don't switch for a long time, just the time needed to change songs or quickly change my config so I don't care. But if I keep it too much in the other desktop I get kicked for 999..

You can use ET switch :

Get this : http://hem.bredband....h-0.1.14.tar.gz

Then open your console and enter : Code: sudo apt-get install build-essential xserver-xorg-dev libxxf86vm-dev libxpm-dev libxmu-dev

Then extract and complie using those cmds : Code: tar xvzf etswitch-0.1.14.tar.gz

cd etswitch-0.1.14/

sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr

sudo make install

sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin/etswitch

sudo chmod -R 755 ~/.etswitch

If you succeeded those steps, you have now to bind your etswitch in order it works during the game : Code: etswitch -c

Then final step, you must had a command line in your ET start script (which you prolly already have). Your launch script should looks like this : Code: #!/bin/bash

echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss // line which redirect ET sound to oss sound manager

echo "et.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss // id.

etswich & // this is the line which launch your ET switch when you're execing your ET script

et "$*" // line which launch ET

Well from my part i use a way more simple method but which was reported as not working by many ubuntu users ... Anyway here is what i do to minimize ET :

- just do Alt+ENTER during game >> it minimizes your game as expected but your mouse pointer disappears as well when you're on your desktop

- to get back your pointer just push your console bind (usually ² on keyboard) and the mouse pointer should magically appeared icon_razznew.gif

(you can also open you console before doing Alt+ENTER of course)

Hope it'll help you.

Topic to close, Brightness and minimize problem was solved.