Backing Up & Restoring your ETKey & GUID! - Enemy Territory

Chuckun

Okay, for those of you who don't know how ETkey's / GUIDs work, I'll briefly explain.

Your GUID is a 32 character hexadecimal hash key uniquely assigned to you by PunkBuster. This unique ID is your personal identity on all punkbuster enabled servers. This GUID is stored intelligently in a file called 'etkey' which is located in the etmain folder.

To locate your etkey file navigate to one of the following:

Windows 32bit: C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\

Windows 64bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain\

Mac OS X: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/etmain/ (Thanks Mattle!)

Linux (*): /home/username/.etwolf/etmain/

*Based on Ubuntu setup.

In the etmain folder, you should find a file called etkey.

To Back-Up: Go to your email provider (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc) and compose a new email. Attach your etkey file to the email, and put the subject as something like "My ETKey" for future reference. Send this email to yourself. Once you have received the email from yourself with the etkey file attached, you now have a permanent backup of your etkey file.

IMP NOTE: You need a webmail email client preferably, so that the email is not stored on your computer, in case of harddrive failure etc.. The whole point of this is that you want to backup your etkey AWAY from your computer.

To Restore: Go to your emails, and search for "My ETKey" (or whatever subject you chose when backing up). Download the attachment from the email. Now, copy & paste the etkey file you just downloaded to whichever folder is relevant to you from the beginning of this tutorial. If you are asked whether you want to overwrite the existing etkey, choose Yes.

Following this method you should never have to change your GUID because of a silly computer problem.

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Like 4

Nice tut bro :)

Perhaps add the location of the etkey on a mac OS X based installation?

/Users/[uSERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/etmain/

Thanks bro :) Never used a mac for ET xD

Will add it with credit now :)

• Like 1

Never thought about writing a tut about it

Awesome idea

anyway I use different methods of saving my etkey:

-like you said: putting it on a webmail account (skydrive (part of hotmail) is also useful: DONT forget to put a password on it)

-putted it on different computer (all my and I use them to play et o)

-putted it on usb-stick

-putted in on my nas (included in my general backup)

So I'm not likely to lose my etkey ^^

• 3 years later...