Guns

TulsaGeoff

During my grandpa's WWII tour, they seized a Luger manufacturing facility. They all made about a half dozen of them for themselves and took them back as souvenirs. He gave them all to friends!!! he did not want any guns in his house  :bheart  :bheart  :bheart  :bheart Man I would LOVE to have a barely fired or never fired Luger from WWII nazi era assembled by him... Jeez 

those would be expensive as all hell right now.

However they require a lot of maintenace due to the complexity of the gun, which is the turn off for many people.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mail man dropped off some stuff today. Made my little .22LR steel competition gun patriotic. Perfectly timed for our match tomorrow and with the 4th just being a couple days ago  :D Murica. Thought I'd share. LaRue Tactical makes these red/white/blue colored rail clips. 

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

Edit: Results from todays shoot. Got 2nd overall and first in rifle optic :D Not a ton of shooters today. Started off struggling with my pistol thought. Haven't shot a match since December.

Capture.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Geoff on both the add on's and the shooting.  I've been shooting some of my steel targets the past few weeks and discovered I have a nasty habit with a couple of pistols using open sights.  If the front sight does not completely fill the gap in the back I tend to shoot to the right missing a 10 inch gong at about 45 feet.  Last time it took me about 30 rounds to figure out what I was doing.  I came real close to adjusting the rear sight.  I was consistent keeping the front sight on the right side of the gap and using Kentucky windage to hit the gong, but after I realized my error I could drill the gong dead center most of the time.  Now with my Ruger Mark III 22LR using a red dot, I am deadly, but then who wouldn't be.  When I broke that gun down the other day I found that the firing pin rebound spring and retainer were missing.  I'm not sure how it was operating, but I have my replacement parts and will put them in the bolt tomorrow some time.

I'd say I'd shoot this weekend, but I'll be stuck in Houston, TX and then heading over to Lubbock Monday.  I'll miss a gun show too which bums me out.  Oh well, work first to make the money so I can play later.

That's crazy man. That's how reliable those ruger 22's are. They work even when missing parts :D I still loath and fear breaking them down though. I was cleaning and lubing my guns before that match at around 9pm the night before. The pistol wasn't that dirty but I wanted to get it perfect. Then I thought about it. Nope not taking the chance that I can't get it back in working condition or want to spend an hour plus trying to figure it out. I've replaced about every part in the trigger group, but it still gives me trouble assembling! So a drop of CLP on each side of the bolt was sufficient :D I didn't have a single malfunction on either gun Sunday shooting federal bulk which is always a good thing. If you have never shot a steel match with your ruger u need to! It's a ton of fun. I have a red dot on my ruger as well. 

I think I'm getting a delivery of cheap russian steel .308 tomorrow so hopefully, I get out to the range! Two weeks in a row would be a welcome change since after my gun shooting dry spell!

Have fun at the range, I'll likely be in Houston giving a presentation and wishing I was home. I picked up a thousand rounds of .22's the other day.  Still overpriced at 10 cent a round, but that bumps me up to about 4,500 rounds to work with.  It is not a lot considering I shoot about 200 rounds each time I take it out.  That is also why I have to break down the pistol.  I'm like you in that I do not want to, but I have to after a few outings. Anyway, I am constantly looking for ammo to replace what I shoot. I never want to be without.  I did buy 200 rounds of .38 and 200 rounds of .40 at WalMart not too long ago.  They seem to have everything at one point or another except .22's. I did find this site for searching ammo deals:

http://ammoseek.com

You are probably already aware of it, but just in case I may help you to get an idea of what the rounds are going for these days.

I've been shooting for about 45 years, mostly rifles and shotguns but some with my SW99 and Beretta.  One thing I have noticed over the years is that there are more and more guns in the hands of more and more people who have no idea about gun safety, including how to store their guns so that some child or other innocent doesn't get ahold of them and kill themselves or someone else.   

The statistics are alarming these days---In the US far more people are more likely to kill themselves or a family member with their gun, than they are to kill an intruder in their home.  Many folks (at least in the US) seem to assume that the "right to bear arms" somehow is separate from the responsibilities that go along with responsible gun ownership. Organizations like the NRA have morphed from being safety and training oriented, to being political arms of the gun manufacturers.   Mandatory universal background checks, shared across all 50 states which the NRA used to support, are now viewed as "attempts by liberals to take away our guns" instead of as common-sense measures to help keep guns out of the hands of people who should never have one in the first place.  Many of the school shootings that have shocked Americans have all been committed with firearms that were legally purchased but got into the hands of others through carelessness or the outright negligence of the owners.  The perpetrators were "law abiding citizens", right up until they weren't.   The argument that a gun in someones hands somehow makes everyone else safer is an empty one when you look at the numbers of firearms injuries and deaths that had "zip" to do with preventing a crime.  States like Alabama and Georgia which have some of the highest percentages of the population that are gun owners, also have some of the highest incidents per capita of gun injuries.  People in those states are shooting each other and themselves at alarming rates.  Iam a firm believer in the US Constitutional right to bear arms, but only if we are all held to a standard that comes with being proplerly trained to safely use and store a weapon.   The right to bear arms has nothing to do with some "right to overthrow an oppressive government".  The US Constitution has no provision for the dismantling of our Republic.

Walter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I spent $570.00 on ammo this past weekend at a gun show in Georgia.  500 rounds each of 9mm, 40 S&W, .45 ACP, & 38 Special.  I then proceeded to shoot 50 rounds each of the 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP and .22 LR at the steels targets over in Alabama. I would have shot some more except rain came in and sent us on our way.  I sure am glad we didn't shoot ourselves or each other to become a statistic. I had planned on buying another gun, but didn't see what I wanted at a good price so I just stocked up on ammo.

Nice dude. I shot another match two Sundays ago with 22's. Was fun. I over spent on guns so I had to sell one yesterday. It's just so easy  :D Want one of those $500 N-PAP AK47's badly. Must resist. :/ There are just great deals to be had. Like this Colt 6920 MP with all Magpul in either black or FDE for $879. 

http://grabagun.com/colt-mfg-co-inc-le6920mpb-car-5-56-16-1-30rd.html

Everyone practiced good gun safety at the match (even the young kids) so thankfully no one was shot either. 

I did try to shoot my Sig 716 the other day for the first time with cheap Russian ammo. It FTF'ed and the bolt was jammed so hard in that I couldn't pry it open until I got home :( I need to try again and if it does it again, I may need to switch to the stock heavy trigger or get some heavier springs for the Giesselle trigger. 

On the 716 did you happen to adjust the gas valve settings?  I know the gas valve can be adjusted and it may be set a little on the suppressed side that will likely weaken the gas pressure driving the piston for cycling the bolt.  Just a thought, but there have been others mention the steel casings sticking not only in the 7.62, but the 5.56 as well.  Either way the Sig 716 has got to be a fun gun to shoot when you can shoot it.

As for the Colt, NICE!! man what a deal too.  Don't show me stuff like that as it just makes me want it.

Glad to hear everyone was safe and had a good time at the match. 

On the 716 did you happen to adjust the gas valve settings?  I know the gas valve can be adjusted and it may be set a little on the suppressed side that will likely weaken the gas pressure driving the piston for cycling the bolt.  Just a thought, but there have been others mention the steel casings sticking not only in the 7.62, but the 5.56 as well.  Either way the Sig 716 has got to be a fun gun to shoot when you can shoot it.

As for the Colt, NICE!! man what a deal too.  Don't show me stuff like that as it just makes me want it.

Glad to hear everyone was safe and had a good time at the match. 

Inspecting it in hind sight it was on the wrong gas valve setting. I had 3 guns selling and I think that is the only gun I have to keep. 308s arent cheap and this was (got it very cheap and a $200 sig rebate). Took it 100% apart and I f***ed up the gas setting. Hopefully I can get it to run like this LOL. I don;t know why idiot is not wearing eye protecting but always wear it. I was shooting a well lubed gun the other day and got very hazardous lube all over my lense let alone a hot casing or explosion... ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION

Apparently the gun is picky for bit until they get broken in.... Never had a gun like that before....

I sold this purdy gun before even putting a bullet down range. I'm a speed shooter and dont know shit about long range. I cant afford to feed it $1 bullets to get the max out of it and don't have room to reload right now. Didn't need a match grade rifle shooting grouping less than an inch at 100 yards.   :( Wish I was a millionaire lol. Nicest AR I've ever handled. My gun dealer agreed it was the nicest AR he had seen lol. LaRue PredatAR 16" with Surefire muzzle break/compensator adapter. Its even the gun in my avatar....... 

IMG_2570.jpg