earthquake

abnerdog

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is where you are wrong.

The hell is a "earthquake proof building"?

basically everything you just said about va made me rofl.

i dont mean to come off as an ass or a ****, so donttake anything personally

DC is similar to NY,NY. New york city is big yeah, but not all of New York is. if new york wasnt extreme popular-fast paced area, the buildings would be the same as VA....we still have extremely tall and large buildings so dont think new york is a one-of-a-kind plac with the only tall buildings in the world :P

yeah, that stuff is scary, but its happened in large cities like new york before....people lose all their common sense after the quake and started crashing on the highway on their way home here in va lol....i think the crashes from people comin home has done more damage than the quake itself did

k, let me explain to you then, VA buildings aren't 100% earthquake proof, I'm too lazy to give you the right word right now, I'm too busy cleaning the broken glass the earthquake caused in my apartment, the general building restoration in VA are alot stronger to support these kind of 5.9 earthquakes, this is almost a 60 year old building. it's not going to take alot of earthquakes like this if it happens more than once, and that's what scares me now

Edited by Ryan<3

you dont get what i meant ryan.........nothing is made "earthquake proof" ecause strong quakes arent common in VA. unless its a state with very frequent strong earthquakes, which is almost nowhere, all buildings are built the same: As strong as the builders' budget exceeds.

I am relieved no none or at least few were injured. This may sound droll. I work with several disaster management agencies. Disasters of all types have some things in common. Among these are what I refer to as the four. Water, food, shelter, and security. Social contact is very helpful but not essential. If you have all of these in good supply then you don’t really have an emergency, a situation perhaps. If one of these is missing then you have an emergency and you are in danger.

I am a member of the following organizations, FEMA, IEMA (Illinois Emergency Management Agency, Wild Land Firefighter Service Region Seven, Volunteer Firefighter Williamson County, ITEC. Region Seven was the group that was called in to respond to 9-11. Our groups responded to Katrina and many other large scale disasters. I am presenting my credentials in an effort to validate the usefulness of my recommendations.

The best time to leave a sinking ship, is before its time to leave a sinking ship. What I am saying here is, during or after a major disaster, earth quake, hurricane, drought, economic collapse, what ever, this is a bad time to prepare for such an emergency. Its sort of like the fire in the theater thing. Its hard to escape the fire when everyone is trying to get through one or two small doors at the same time.

It is unpleasant to consider such things. I can not change that. I wish I could, I wish I could somehow prevent such disasters, I can't. I have seen the suffering these things cause first hand and often. It is something one never gets used too. Its ugly the first time and each time after.

Someone far wiser than I once said, “luck is opportunity meeting the prepared man“. I have said, “success in life and survival are more a matter of maximizing your odds than anything else“. Obviously preparation is key.

We live in a time and within a society where our most basic needs as well as desirables are delivered to us through complex, centrally controlled systems. We are often hundreds, even thousands of miles away from the sources of the things we need and want. When a disaster hits, man made or natural, these systems are among the first casualties. Hence you invariably hear about shortages of food, water, power, medical supplies, and etc. People by the thousands are dying for lack of these things even as I write this missive to all of you.

The average grocery store has on its shelves enough food, to supply its normal clientele for four days, with strict rationing. In a serious emergency such rationing processes will only occur if a significant armed presence is at that location. Other wise it will be ravaged in manner of hours.

5.9, or something like that was the intensity of the quake in the eastern US. I don't track unless I am called to respond. Forgive me I grow weary of such things. It could have just as easily been a 9.5 quake. We don’t understand quakes, we can't predict them. It is in my view it is unwise and arrogant to assume anything, least of all, what mother nature might do next.

So what do I recommend; I recommend the following.

Purchase a minimum of one years supply of freeze dried survival food. This type of food can be quite tasty and can last up to 50 years in reasonably good storage. There are numerous sites on the web where such things can be purchased.

Have a complete set of high quality camping gear, have two of everything and more of high use or easily damage items.

Have an extensive medical kit. pampers and large sanitary napkins make excellent battle dressings, wounds must be cleaned and redressed often. Buy large amounts of these, base on number of people in your group.

learn basic and advanced first aid, one among being a paramedic would be a good idea. Have a substantial supply of over the counter pain medication. Party quality pain meds would be great too if you can get your hands on some.

Vitamins, full organic, and in as large a quantity as you can stand.

Various grains, rice, barely, millet, and such, have long shelf lives, easy to store and often very cheap and nutritious.

Weapons, shotguns are excellent, with bird and buck shot, in large quantities.

large caliber pistols as well as a 22 pistol and rifle for hunting small game, ammo is cheap for the .22. and as most know and very accurate.

Have a number of water purification devices and chemicals. Bleach will work and is good to have around for a variety of things.

tools, very important, saws, hammers, nails, screws, bailing wire, as much hardware as you can accumulate

coffee, liquor, cigarettes, sugar and spices good to have, and are excellent barter items. In some disasters, money becomes useless

Good to gave a high powered rifle or two around, I prefer a seven millimeter magnum. It will kill anything on the north American continent with one shot.

fishing equipotent, books with pictures displaying edible and poisonous plants, insects, and reptiles.

If things get really bad, keep in mind, anything that does not eat you first is on the menu.

redundancy and backup, two wonderful and all to often overlooked philosophies.

Have several escape routes preplanned to move to local and distant locations in the event your current location becomes to dangerous.

Have a means of taking all of your goodies with you, if you have to haul ass and leave goodies behind, your screwed.

Have back up shelters or locations for portable shelters, tents and such, preplanned as well as the means to get there.

Have a last resort haul ass now pack in standby in a place close to the door. Small tent, food, water, basic survival gear, as much as you can carry in one trip. Good for anything, including residential fires.

These are a few ideas. I would argue, one is wise to carefully consider such things, how ever unpleasant or improbable such things may seem.

A few notes on residential fires. Much sorrow to found with these as well, more than once I have fought fires with tears in my eyes.

Firefighters are a strange lot, they are the ones running into burning buildings when everyone else is running out of em, Any way I could go on for ever explaining what to do and what to look out for. It is better that you simply go to your local fire department and ask for information. Believe me they would much rather help you prevent a fire in your home than respond to one. I have not worked with a fire fighter yet that did not have a heart of gold. They will help you. Do your homework work on this one.

I will say this, find everyone of those cheap white, brown, or black extension cords in your home, cut them up into little pieces and throw them in the trash. Use only high quality extension cords and only use them if you must. Don’t go to Wallmart. Go to an electrical supply store. The ones contractors go to. They sell the cheap shit too, sometimes. Tell the person behind the counter you want good extension cords.

Men never plan to fail, they fail to plan

My best wishes to you all for fair winds and following seas.

SILVERTHORN

Edited by SILVERTHORN

well, where i live it was hit, but not by me personally, but from what ive heard, it was nothing really, and people in VA are freaking out for nothing at all. Guess what? VA has earthquakes every few hours, you just dont feel them. Theyre common. But nobody pays attention in class >.>

also ryan, i dont know what you are talking about, i belive 4.0 are common ones in va, so good luck feeling a 2.9. and no, its not the first time a city has had one that strong i bet, its probably just the first time you or others your age may have experienced.

Yes just as you said "you just dont feel them". Point is this was a 5.8 and we did feel that. This is the first for me and it was a very scary thing. I know the west coast people are laughing. Think how you would feel if a freak 3 foot snow storm hit you. You would freak out too.