Need info on building a gaming computer!

=Death Hunter=

I use my laptop for music, pic storage, and gaming. And that's about it. And even though I have vista I can say that it's never really gave me any problems and for what it is ET runs reasonably good! But I would like it to run smoother and I want to build a decent gaming machine and could use some pointers. I don't have a huge knowledge of computers as in building them so I'll have to either order one or have it built. What should I look for or what options can I add when having it built. I'm looking to spend maybe $600-$900 and the unit would be built solely for gaming.

Any input will be much appreciative!!!

-DH

honestly I have no preferance. But I'm open to suggestions haha

I would definitely check out some online options. I also have an old buddy that his little bro is a computer wizard. Just haven't had any luck getting ahold of him. I believe my laptop is an acer. And like I said runs great despite vista lol so I wouldn't mind looking at those

thanks I'll look into that! I'm computer saavy I just don't know about the guts all that much. I'll leave that to professionals. I'm sure if I tried to build I would either be electrocuted or start some kind of small fire in my house lol

For gaming you need a good graphic card and proccesor. I think it will be okay with Nvidia gtx 560(or gtx 460) and processor Intel quad i5 or i7. And for gaming 4 gb of ram is enought.

I was going to make a similar thread myself as I am just starting to research the parts. I am starting with my HP Pavillion desktop that the hard drive just died on. It is about 4 years old and has an AMD CPU, but don't know the size of anything in it and it has a Nvidia graphics card.

Can you put an i5 chip in it? I was looking at i7 but I thought that was a different pin set?

Likewise, looking to dump about $600 into it and it would be strictly for gaming and music storage.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated on CPU, graphics card, RAM, power supply, Hard drive. Would like to use the stock casing, motherboard and DVD drive.

I was going to make a similar thread myself as I am just starting to research the parts. I am starting with my HP Pavillion desktop that the hard drive just died on. It is about 4 years old and has an AMD CPU, but don't know the size of anything in it and it has a Nvidia graphics card.

Can you put an i5 chip in it? I was looking at i7 but I thought that was a different pin set?

Likewise, looking to dump about $600 into it and it would be strictly for gaming and music storage.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated on CPU, graphics card, RAM, power supply, Hard drive. Would like to use the stock casing, motherboard and DVD drive.

Being that it's an HP, your likely not going to be able to re-use the motherboard for any processor other than the series that came with it. An Intel processor physically won't fit the same socket. An i5 processor would be a decent price point to get into an Intel motherboard with and still leave you some money to look at upgrading your powersupply and video card (unless you have already invested in a good card and would like to recycle it).

@DeathHunter: I would double check any prices you see from a box store with Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com and perhaps even Microcenter.com. Personally speaking I've done buisness with newegg for years and as long as you do your homework (aka read reviews) you'll likely end up with good components at a good price. Ive never had an issue with them. Good luck on your parts hunt.

yeah that site looked like a pretty good one.

Ok...what about the mouse??? I'm using a fairly cheap laser mouse/keyboard combo from walmart. Any suggestions on a good mouse? I've heard that can makea big difference for gameplay