Installing Enemy Territory

NippleSlip

Hi all,

as some of you might be aware, the latest MAC OS Version was released by Apple a couple of days ago, the LION. Now I decided to give my iMAC a clean install, set up lion and install Wolfenstein ET.

We cant install the 2.60b version anymore because it is a powerpc app and these are not supported anymore.

2.60c and d ARE however supported.

However, I have tried installing both and the game quits immediately as soon as the console loads.

Anyone experiencing issues with lion and ET? please share your issues.

Yeah I tried to install ET 2.60d on Lion last night, only give me an error

with lion 10.7 apple removed support for running powerpc code via rosetta

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Missing Front Row, Rosetta and Java runtime

No Rosetta

While Apple dropped support for running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on PowerPC Macs, 10.7 Lion will remove support for running PowerPC code on the new machines via Rosetta, a translation bridge that enabled Intel Macs to continue to run old software.

Rosetta was not installed by default in Snow Leopard, but could be installed by users who needed to run old programs that had not yet been updated to run natively on Intel Macs. In Lion, Rosetta support is gone entirely, spelling the end of the line for PowerPC as an architecture.

Apple has already restricted Mac App Store titles to Intel code, leaving PowerPC support abandoned along with Motorola 68000 code.

btw I'm running Mac Lion on a PC (hackintosh) :hmm

I wrote near MAC the words OS X LION... what is wrong?

Don't worry, he just means, that using the word mac in uppercase MAC, means more a short for Media Access Control than a Mac computer :D

2.60c and d are Intel compatible so they SHOULD run. there just seems to be an unknown issue.

I wrote near MAC the words OS X LION... what is wrong?

They are in fact not since the background is still PPC. And its not an unknown issue, it's clearly incompatible.

Mac OS X Lion instead of MAC OS X LION.

The only options you've got are running it virtualized or via Boot Camp.

As previously stated, the game has been patched to work with OS X Lion. I am trying to find out how to get this job done. I have posted the issue on the splash-damage forums - I will post any feedback as soon as it is available.

Quoting another user from another site :

I was about to post that I’ll have to keep a Snow Leopard machine around to play a few of my favorite older games.... but I’m looking at them all and to my surprise they’re all Intel-native or have been patched to become so:

Halo

UT 2004 (and the UTMods mod launcher)

World of Padman

Tranquility

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

GooBall

Pac the Max X

Penumbra: Overture

Battlestar Galactica Beyond the Red Line

Lego Mindstorms NXT

Edited by NippleSlip

• 6 months later...

adapted from siri's post on the splash damage website(http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14517.html)...seems the most crucial were steps 7,8

How to run Wolfenstein ET on OS X Lion: (Tested on Macbook Pro 2011 & Imac)

7. In ~/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/etmain/ create a file: "autoexec.cfg"

8. Paste the two lines of this file:

seta r_colorbits "32"

set r_allowExtensions 0

9. Run ET.

10. Set screen resolution via the following commands in the game console (press ~ after launching the game to view game console):

/r_customwidth XXXX

/r_customheight XXXX

/r_mode -1

• 4 months later...