IAR replacing the SAW

AJB77

I thought this was interesting. I read on www.military.com the following:

"Marine infantry squads will replace their M249 light machine gun with a highly accurate, auto rifle geared for fast-moving assaults. In late May, Gen. James Amos, commandant of the Marine Corps, approved a plan to field the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle to all Marine infantry battalions. "The decision is made. It's happening," said Charles Clark III, who oversees infantry weapons requirements at the Corps' Combat Development and Integration office."

I was not too familiar with the M27 IAR, so I checked it out on youtube. Cool vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzGzeLh3mc

The weapon looks cool. But replacing the SAW? I'm not sure I buy it.

I seen a show on this gun and I tell you what it will help keep the MG from being a sniper target....till he opens up with it. ;)

Heh. Yeah that's one reason the Marines wanted to go with it, it looks more like an M4, so it makes the MG less conspicuous I guess. I have to admit it, I like the gun a lot, and not just for that reason. But I love the SAW as well, and cant imagine this gun actually taking it's place just yet. One problem I see is the number of rounds per mag, but there may be others as well. I still have to learn a bit more about it. . .

Well, from what i read the m27 is just a modified version of the well-known hk 416 which is a complete overhaul of the m4 (almost no jamming and so on). Regarding the rounds per magazine, it can be equipped with a Beta-C-Mag which would provide the m27 with 100/150 rounds in one magazine. Due to the barrel length it shouldn't be used in long rang combat situations therefore i can't see it replacing the m249 completely (in my opinion :D). Any ideas if there are any plans to create a 6.8 SPC LMG?

Well, from what i read the m27 is just a modified version of the well-known hk 416 which is a complete overhaul of the m4 (almost no jamming and so on). Regarding the rounds per magazine, it can be equipped with a Beta-C-Mag which would provide the m27 with 100/150 rounds in one magazine. Due to the barrel length it shouldn't be used in long rang combat situations therefore i can't see it replacing the m249 completely (in my opinion :D). Any ideas if there are any plans to create a 6.8 SPC LMG?

I mean, I'm sure as hell not an expert, but I haven't heard of anything solid along those lines. It's probable somebody somewhere is putting together a prototype somewhere. With all of the money in munitions, even if there isn't perhaps that's the next big million dollar idea (there you go.) :)