"No English - No Service" Sign Triples Restaurant's Sales

Urine_Sample

Best sales pitch ever!!!

Some chefs spend their lifetimes unsuccessfully slogging away to improve business.

But all it took for Reedy Creek Diner chef Greg Simons in Lexington, North Carolina, was to put up a controversial language sign and he's seen his sales triple.

Mr Simons put up the 'No speak English. No service' sign in March and says he's received great support - with some people asking for souvenir copies to take home.

'All these calls I've gotten from outside the country and the U.S. have all been positive, saying things like "Good for you, don't take it down",' he told My Fox 8.

Mr Simons took down the sign in March after receiving a deluge of complaints at the time from people concerned it may have been racist.

It was put up after a group were offended because staff could not speak Spanish.

But Mr Simons said: 'Everybody's money is green as far as I'm concerned. It's a communication thing. Nobody here speaks another language other than English.'

storeez

icon_biggrin2.gif That's awesome!! I'd eat there.

In any event, I hate when people play the race card right away in situations like these. I don't see exactly how the sign can be taken as racism as it is not aimed at any race in particular. The sign might exemplify a slight prejudice(if you even want to call it that...) towards people of all types with an inability to speak English, but nothing racial.

Or is it? :hmm

In alot of ways it makes sense because in todays day and age people feel its their right to not speak the language of the land.

This policy is not new. The whole USA was like that up untill the 70's(surprised?)

When my grandparents came to the US after WW2 they couldnt get jobs until they learned english.

IMO as long as someone tries to learn the language they are ok.

Exactly! If you come into this country, and you get indignant because someone DOESNT speak your native tongue, then I think you should find a new country. GTFO with all these feelings of ....whats the word I'm looking for....entitlement!

• Administrators

Good for him. I live in Canada and I don't speak french, but I do speak other languages. Any person that plays racist/national card because another person cannot speak another language is an a**h****. At least in US there are no language laws like in Quebec. 30 % of people in Quebec are assholes that has been established by yours truly during my travels through the mostly predominant francophone speaking province.

Don't you have to be able to speak english in order to obtain citizenship? Makes sense to me.

Citizenship? Does any one even bother with that now? In Maryland they want to give reduced tuition to Maryland colleges for Illegals.

It would be better if it stated "I can't help you if you don't speak English", but that isn't offensive :P

Furthermore, I know that in some (many) countries English isn't even the second language, why refuse those?

Good for him. I live in Canada and I don't speak french, but I do speak other languages. Any person that plays racist/national card because another person cannot speak another language is an a**h****. At least in US there are no language laws like in Quebec. 30 % of people in Quebec are assholes that has been established by yours truly during my travels through the mostly predominant francophone speaking province.

We've all heard about the background of Quiet Revolution, the Quebecois didn't necessarily join the sweet dream of British rule willingly while these people have immigrated into another country.

Far from the same, although both of them are questionable at least.