Wouter Weylandt

SjaaKTreKHaaK

Belgian cyclist Wouter Weylandt killed in Giro d'Italia crash. Monday 9 May 2011

The Giro d'Italia is in shock after the Belgian sprinter Wouter Weylandt died of injuries caused by a heavy crash on the descent from the Passo del Bocco, the main climb in the third stage of the race, from Reggio Emilia to Rapallo.

Weylandt fell heavily on the twisting, steep descent 35km from the finish, with one version of events stating he had hit a wall. He appeared to have landed heavily on his face, causing severe bleeding. An inquiry was set to be opened by a local magistrate into the precise circumstances of the incident.

The race's emergency services were rapidly on the spot and carried out cardiac massage and adrenaline and atropine injections for 40 minutes but were unable to save the 26-year-old.

"We are attempting to work out the precise sequence of events," the race's medical head, Professor Giovanni Tredici, said, before describing his attempts to save the Belgian's life with other doctors and with the help of the race's mobile reanimation unit. "He was unconscious with a fracture of the skull base and facial damage. After 40 minutes of cardiac massage we had to suspend the resuscitation because there was nothing more we could do.

"The situation was already desperate when we began to try to save him. I believe I arrived on the scene 20 or at most 30 seconds after the accident. The ambulance arrived after about 90 seconds but we continued reanimation attempts on the road because of the urgency of the situation."

Weylandt was in his fifth year as a professional cyclist, was looking forward to becoming the father of his first child and was racing this season for the newly formed Luxembourg-based Leopard Trek team. His biggest wins were stage victories in the 2010 Giro d'Italia and the 2008 Tour of Spain. His team were due to decide whether to continue the race.

"The team is left in a state of shock and sadness and we send all our thoughts and deepest condolences to the family and friends of Wouter," said Leopard Trek's general manager, Brian Nygaard. "This is a difficult day for cycling and for our team and we should all seek support and strength in the people close to us."

Serious accidents are almost an everyday occurrence in cycling but deaths are comparatively rare. Weylandt is the fourth cyclist to die during the Giro d'Italia and the first since 1986 but his was the first death in one of the major Tours since the fatal crash suffered by the Italian Olympic champion Fabio Casartelli on the descent of the Col du Portet d'Aspet in the 1995 Tour de France.

Unlike their French counterparts following the death of Casartelli, on Monday the Giro organisers suspended the post-race ceremonials. The British cyclist David Millar took over the pink race leader's jersey after an escape late in the stage – the third British cyclist to wear the jersey in the history of the Giro – but said he had not even put it on after the race and he may not choose to wear it on Tuesday as a sign of respect. "I can't even imagine what his family are going through," Millar said.

Asked if the death following a crash showed the sport was too dangerous, he said: "It was one of the million things that we have to go through. Our sport is very tragic at times, it has been throughout its history, but we get mixed up in a lot of stupid things in this sport.

His compatriot Mark Cavendish said on Twitter: "Things like this shouldn't happen. Absolutely sick to the stomach."

A statement from the International Cycling Union (UCI) read: "On behalf of the whole cycling family, the UCI president, Pat McQuaid, wishes to extend his deepest sympathies to all members of Weylandt's family, all his friends and team-mates, but also to all his colleagues on the Giro, who will have to overcome their grief to continue in the race."

Bradley Wiggins, who was not riding the Giro, tweeted: "Days like this put this great sport we love into perspective, Wouter rest in peace now mate, thoughts are now with the family and friends."

much strength to family and friends! It Heard me asswell.. i saw the tour today, that was great moment. beautiful pictures. all for Wouter. R.I.P Wouter Weylandt :excl:

The blood just ran and ran out of his nose ..

It was disgusting and shocking ..

Wouter was a very talented cyclist and was going to be father in september, 26 yrs old ..

So sad, Rip : (

The blood just ran and ran out of his nose ..

It was disgusting and shocking ..

Wouter was a very talented cyclist and was going to be father in september, 26 yrs old ..

So sad, Rip : (

Yes,I saw it too, the live images of him lying there with blood gushing out where horrifying.

I'm a cycle fan and I cycle a lot myself, but I never race down the mountians, always breaking a lot,I dont get it why they have to do it at 70 kilometers/hour, crazy.

May he rest in peace

Ciao Wouter

This is a poem by Flemish poet Willie Verhegghe, I think its beautiful, thought I'd share it. (Sorry for the mediocre translation into English)

Renners sterven niet,

ze verdwijnen alleen maar uit het zicht

eens zij met niet te evenaren stijl

de laatste finish hebben overschreden

en de snelheid van het leven

hen met stijve spieren achterlaat.

Want koersen blijven ze,

ook al vallen hart en wielen stil,

zij gaan in duizend hoofden door

met duwen en nooit doodgaan,

hun zweet geeft blijvend glans

aan het asfalt.

Weet dat

wanneer de aarde hen dan toch

met tegenzin bedekt,

hun naam voor altijd

als een echo tussen bergen

zal weerklinken.

--------------------

Racers do not die

They only disappear out of sight

once they've crossed the last finish

with incomparable style

And with sore muscles

leave the speed of life behind

Because they continue to race

Even though heart and wheels stop

In thousands of heads they continue

with pushing and never die

there sweat gives a glow

To the roads

Know that

When the earth finally

reluctantly covers them

Their name will sound

like an ego between the mountains

for ever.

This is a poem by Flemish poet Willie Verhegghe, I think its beautiful, thought I'd share it. (Sorry for the mediocre translation into English)

Renners sterven niet,

ze verdwijnen alleen maar uit het zicht

eens zij met niet te evenaren stijl

de laatste finish hebben overschreden

en de snelheid van het leven

hen met stijve spieren achterlaat.

Want koersen blijven ze,

ook al vallen hart en wielen stil,

zij gaan in duizend hoofden door

met duwen en nooit doodgaan,

hun zweet geeft blijvend glans

aan het asfalt.

Weet dat

wanneer de aarde hen dan toch

met tegenzin bedekt,

hun naam voor altijd

als een echo tussen bergen

zal weerklinken.

--------------------

Racers do not die

They only disappear out of sight

once they've crossed the last finish

with incomparable style

And with sore muscles

leave the speed of life behind

Because they continue to race

Even though heart and wheels stop

In thousands of heads they continue

with pushing and never die

there sweat gives a glow

To the roads

Know that

When the earth finally

reluctantly covers them

Their name will sound

like an ego between the mountains

for ever.

Hearded that one also on TV... I felt the chills :o

I saw the TV-shots of him laying on the ground, it was shocking!

He was a good teammember for his team. I think they will miss him.........

RIP