Police Search Cell Phones During Routine Traffic Stops

Urine_Sample

While I'm not typically a fan of the ACLU, this time I have to give them credit.

So. What are we looking at? Well...

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

The ACLU is concerned that these powerful capabilities are being quietly used to bypass Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable searches.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

There's nothing illegal on my phone, but a cop would have to fight it from me unless he had good reason to search it. That's just invasion of privacy.

just turn the whole country into a big super jail.

there is some thing in everyone's life that could

get them time, and/or make it illegal to be unemployed

or unhealthy and turn the keys over to nato, Iraq or maybe

even North Korea or Mexico (most of Mexico is already here

and is going to get included in the super jail)..

sorry so neg, its just hit a button with me

Edited by JohnWayne

According to the National Safety Council approx 1.6m accidents in the US involve cell phones. So the device would probably be useful to prove someone was using a cell phone in an accident, and if the data makes it to court and leads to prosecution it could potentially lead to a decrease in accidents once more drivers realize they can be caught.

I’m not sure about the use for routine traffic stops though and can see that as debatable.

Would you be flagged down by cops if you use bluetooth headset?

Invasion of privacy...basic american rights. They'll scrutinize who you talk to and when you're talking to them. I mean.....HELLO?!?!?!?!

1984 is here.

Invasion of privacy = paranoia

f*** THE POLICE,they can kiss my G ass!!!!, all they do is piss ppl, don't get wrong yes they do great things, but sometimes they go a little too far, like i had a dirty cop in my hood beat shit outta me because i won't snitch on this local big time dealer!!!! soo far as i can say is !!f*** THE PIGS!!

Invasion of privacy...basic american rights. They'll scrutinize who you talk to and when you're talking to them. I mean.....HELLO?!?!?!?!

1984 is here.

not if the ask first but i haven't seen how they use it but if the just take your phone then yes you are right

Would you be flagged down by cops if you use bluetooth headset?

Invasion of privacy = paranoia

I don"t stop for blue-tooths so no you wont be flagged down it all just depends on state law

f*** THE POLICE,they can kiss my G ass!!!!, all they do is piss ppl, don't get wrong yes they do great things, but sometimes they go a little too far, like i had a dirty cop in my hood beat shit outta me because i won't snitch on this local big time dealer!!!! soo far as i can say is !!f*** THE PIGS!!

nice to know that i'm a pig and the cop the beat you down was wrong you did nothing wrong unless you said i know but i wont tell you then theres a problem

hope that helps

slayer out :D

Searching through your cellphone for a minor traffic stop is completely ridiculous and a complete abuse of power. It makes the Police look desperate.

just turn the whole country into a big super jail.

there is some thing in everyone's life that could

get them time, and/or make it illegal to be unemployed

or unhealthy and turn the keys over to nato, Iraq or maybe

even North Korea or Mexico (most of Mexico is already here

and is going to get included in the super jail)..

sorry so neg, its just hit a button with me

Understood, just know that if this country does turn into a super jail...someone will stand up for our rights:

snake-plissken.jpg

Here's a solution to this problem. Make your phone ask for a password to be able to access it. Very easy to do and protects your privacy 100%. I recently did it to my iphone not just for this reason but in case I happen to lose it.

But they're using it during traffic stops, not accidents. There's a BIG difference there...

Searching through your cellphone for a minor traffic stop is completely ridiculous and a complete abuse of power. It makes the Police look desperate.

Agreed. In my high school, they put in a rule saying that if a teacher caught you with your phone during school (not just during tests, but hallways, lunch, etc.) they would take it away and search through your messages/pictures/info. Everyone thought it was unnecessary and a huge breach of privacy. Same with traffic stops...if there's no accident, there's no right/reason for a cop to do this.