My visit to the lawyer

PHANTASM

So, we went to the lawyer's office this morning to get my wife to file bankruptcy. It was intensely miserable. There were tears, denial, blame, and divorce threats.

It's going to cost me $1400 to file bankruptcy to clean out her debt. But it beats paying $500 a month in minimum payments due, with no end in sight, and no way to pay them off for good. When I try to pay them down, she takes the money back out.

Hopefully no one will ever give her a credit card again. I'm expecting the applications to keep coming though anyway. I cannot understand why banks offer credit to someone who has not worked for four years.

I just wanted to vent since I can't discuss this with anyone I know in real life.

Things can get nasty. it's the main reason America is in so much dept, people pay for things they can't afford and BOOM. I do hope everything works out for you though, i would talk to you on vent but i don't have a mic.

I to am sorry it had to come to this point. I hope she can learn to control her spending and everything will work out for ya bro.

My wife bought a car on my credit card 17 years ago. That almost caused a divorce.

She has not worked in 9 years and when she quit her job (we had twins) we laid out a financial plan that has managed to keep our debt down to a house payment and 1 credit card that we pay off each month.

I have seen 3 of my brothers file for banruptcy and it is worse than just having the debt. I hope that you had looked at ALL options before you did this. This is one thing that will follow you your entire life.... even after you come out of bankruptcy. Good luck.

That sucks to hear bro... but on the (somewhat) bright side, in 3 months you'll have the 1400 covered by the 500/mo minimums, and afterwards, you'll be clear, with 50+ in your pocket each month, and hopefully stress free.

Good luck man.

It is a unfortunate step in the right direction. just try to hold things together and keep a decent perspective. There are many things in life worse then being in debt. You will get through it, stay positive and keep your family moving forward.

My money.. I will spend it.. its for me ... me me me , you want to buy something go fk earn ur own shit you have 2 legs , hands and eyes like me .

phantasm sorry man.. thats really pfft.. you earning somebody else enjoying.

• Administrators

The only one question I have in my mind is can't you just put hold on your social so no one issues credit card and cancel all your joint credit cards and keep one for you?

And close all joint accounts or just don't put any money in it? AFAIK if you give divorce, you have to give her, all expense but if she takes divorce you have to pay less or to nothing?

No idea man just suggesting.

To stop all credit card offers from coming to your house you need to optout of the offers. The official Consumer Credit Reporting Industry Web site that processes requests from consumers to opt in or out of credit card offers is https://www.optoutprescreen.com. You can opt out right here. You can also call to opt out: 888-567-8688.

Its a good idea that everyone should optout of the credit card offers because that is another tool identity thiefs use.

Like Dare said you then put a "Security Freeze" on your social with all 3 credit bureaus. This will prevent her from opening any new credit under your social.

Experian: http://www.experian.com/consumer/security_freeze.html

Equifax: https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

Transunion: http://www.transunion.com/corporate/personal/fraudIdentityTheft/fraudPrevention/securityFreeze.page

I'm sorry to hear that bro. Financial problems are the leading cause of divorces in america. I would like to point out that after bush jr. changed bankruptcy laws, you don't get a clean slate anymore. Its more like a 'forced' debt consolidation. I hope you guys can see through this and I wish you 2 the best of luck.