Oxford Dictionary adds common internet abbreviations!

Chuckun

Oxford Dictionary adds common internet abbreviations!

OMG WTF BBQ?!

Today it was announced that bizarrely, the Oxford Dictionary has adopted several well known internet acronyms into its official printed vocabulary.

"LOL" (Laugh Out Loud), "OMG" (Oh My God), and "FYI" (For Your Information) have now been declared legitimate English words by the official dictionary of English; the legendary Oxford Dictionary.

Since the addition of "Chav" some years ago, it was clearly only a matter of time before certain common slurs were adopted into the english language, but seriously now, acronyms have their own definition for a reason. Acronyms are not words, they are initialised phrases.

Oh, My, and God, are legitimate words. Just like Laugh, Out, Loud, For, Your and Information are. But "OMG", "LOL", and "FYI" are acronyms. Why are such things being turned into real words when they're not supposed to be?

===================================

Seriously guys, please post your opinions.. This is just crazy o.0

With each passing day we unfortunately accept more and more bullshit as being normal.

I use these phrases on occasion, specifially the "lol" since I rarely laugh or show emotion, so its used to convey a more humorous point so people don't think I'm a prick..

Rest assured, when you talk to me and I say 'lol' I am NOT really laughing, or smiling.

Should these terms be listed in some sort of online reference? Sure.

Should these terms be accepted into the English language? No.

Anyone can create an Acronym.

And I don't see DIAF, FU, FO etc... in that list....

With each passing day we unfortunately accept more and more bullshit as being normal.

I use these phrases on occasion, specifially the "lol" since I rarely laugh or show emotion, so its used to convey a more humorous point so people don't think I'm a prick..

Rest assured, when you talk to me and I say 'lol' I am NOT really laughing, or smiling.

I think you might be my brother.

Lol <-- So you know I'm joking, not because I'm laughing frantically at my screen, I'm not that weird.

This will make Scrabble easier, lol!

Oh wait, you guys don't play Scrabble. Probably never even heard of it.

Are you kidding?! Scrabble is awesome! xD

lol wtf is wrong with you

I would imagine alot of these words came about starting with Ultima Online. The first great social gaming experiment. LOL I remember people saying 'pks are out there' and almost everyone else saying 'what are pks?' These words are used for gamers, picked up by texters. Easier to type these words. We didn't have 'macros' back then on the early internet games to employ...or vsays. Ingame chat was subjected to words above your head, not in a certain section of the screen. I must admit, playing Ultima Online when it first came out was f***ing chaotic.

Ok guys, POSH is an acronym, never used to be a word. POSH is like 'chav' - it originally meant "Port Out, Starboard Home"..

I can agree that LOL has become sort of word-like.. Nobody reads 'lol' as 'laugh out loud' any more.. It's just lol.. And OMG is probably partly the same.. But FYI?! That stands for For Your Info without f***ing fail..

have any of you noticed how many El-Oh-Els there are in this topic? im not talkin about the people explain the usage of it, i mean the people who are acutally saying it accidentally on purpose....haha (<== imma start doin that now :D)

It's retarded lol, I guess they want people to realize how pointless it really is.

This will make Scrabble easier, lol!

Oh wait, you guys don't play Scrabble. Probably never even heard of it.

lol wtf is wrong with you

case and point. reason why its now in the dictionary ;)

Yeah I can agree that 'lol' has become a kinda of word.. (as stated in my post referring to 'posh') - but FYI is still 'for your information' to most..