Aussie Soldier Outrage

Butterz

Hooray for beer?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should beer be a part of the perks returned soldiers have?

Soldiers paying for Xmas beer 'bloody atrocious'

The president of the Darwin RSL says it is atrocious that Australian soldiers serving in Afghanistan have been told they will have to pay $5 per can of beer on Christmas Day.

Peter Mansell says it is understandable the soldiers are only allowed to drink two beers on the day because all troops need to be ready for emergencies while on deployment.

But he says they should not have to pay for their Christmas beers.

"I thought that was bloody atrocious," he said.

"My experience of 40 years ago in Vietnam, the big brewing companies sent beer over to Vietnam.

"And the soldiers over in Vietnam got their rations of beer if they were in base, firm base, they got two cans per man, per day."

The Defence Department says it will be able to comment on the issue later today.

Xmas beer brouhaha has ADF in retreat

Australian soldiers serving in Afghanistan will be given free beer for Christmas after a backlash against plans to charge them $5 per can.

Earier today Darwin RSL president Peter Mansell said it was appalling that soldiers had been told they would have to pay for beer on Christmas Day.

"I thought that was bloody atrocious," he said.

"My experience of 40 years ago in Vietnam, the big brewing companies sent beer over to Vietnam.

"And the soldiers over in Vietnam got their rations of beer if they were in base, firm base.

"They got two cans per man per day."

Defence Minister Stephen Smith now says the soldiers in Afghanistan will be given two beers for free if their local commanders agree to it.

"We know tragically that we've seen 21 fatalities as far as Afghanistan is concerned, and we've had half of those in the course of this year," Mr Smith said.

"So because it's been a particularly difficult year and the special circumstances of that, I can announce that if local commanders in Afghanistan determine that they will make alcohol available to Defence Force personnel, that will be made available by Defence ... and it will be at no charge to the Defence personnel concerned."

Yep, thats how we do it in Australia.

Bought a pitcher of beer bout 2 months ago at Chickie n Petes in Bordentown,NJ for a table full of airmen from McGuire AFB. Every citizen from every country should offer some drink as a show of thanks for putting their lives on the line for their country.