3D Televisions, Are they worth it?

OCELOT.

Well, I have come here to ask some of you what you think of these 3D televisions that they have out now. I am thinking about buying one with the idea of being able to watch the games in 3D and perhaps play some Xbox on a 3d television. However I hear that the glasses needed are really expensive. What do you all think?

I sold 3d tv's a few months ago at HHgregg. The glasses are pretty expensive normally sold around $150 a piece, but normally when we sold the television there was a bundle going on. Like you buy a 3d tv and you get a glasses starter kit which included 2 pairs of glasses and movie or 2. Sometimes we even had a free 3d blu ray player with it. Not sure what kind of television you have been looking at, but you may have noticed with your research that most of them do 2d to 3d conversion meaning the movie or tv show doesn't HAVE to be broadcast in 3d in order for you to watch it in 3d. Theres normally a button on the remote which can simulate a 3d image on anything that is on. The quality is not going to be as good as an actual 3D movie in a 3D blu ray player or a 3D show which is being broadcast on ESPN 3d, but it does work.

I don't know where you live, but in the US theres only a few cable providers that offer a 3D channel which I think is ESPN 3D as of right now.

But the PS3 is doing 3d games along with the Xbox 360. It is going to be limited titles at first and maybe eventually everything will start coming out in 3d. only time will tell...

Is it worth it though? Guess it depends how much money you have the ability to spend :P If your rich then sure why not, but the only thing I am worried about is if the 3D thing is going jump off into everyones homes. As of right now it is fairly expensive to buy all the stuff which makes people shy away from buying it.

I think 3d televisions aren't worth it. It is hard to watch 3d for a long time (like a movie sitting) without having your eyes strained =P (at least that is for me)

worth it. My friend got one, and we watch shit on it all the time. Its really not that tiring at all, and its awesome to see with.

thats just me, if u got few thousand to blow, go ahead. you wont regret it

it is not cool to sit in your house wearing those glasses and if you dont the picture is blurry for regular TV...

wrong... you only watch 3d when you want to. 3d tv's still have one of the best 2d picture quality.

the glasses are kinda weird looking though :P and some of them aren't comfortable like the panasonic 3d glasses. The most comfortable feeling glasses I have tried were for LG

wrong... you only watch 3d when you want to. 3d tv's still have one of the best 2d picture quality.

the glasses are kinda weird looking though :P and some of them aren't comfortable like the panasonic 3d glasses. The most comfortable feeling glasses I have tried were for LG

Thanx for correction Corey....Yes after reading that, I see the error in my post. meant to say that if you view a 3D with out glasses it is blurry. So you cant have some people watching in 3D with glasses and some people viewing with out glasses it will be blurry to them.

I'll throw my worthless 2c in here since I've been interested in the idea of 3-d TV becoming a standard as a TV format and have done some research on it.

From the best of my understanding of current 3-d TV's, and Corey seems to back it up. They are simply top of the line TV's, and from what I've seen seem to be better looking 2-d TV's. A week ago i was listening to a podcast with Scott Wilkinson from Ultimate AV, and he basically echo'ed the same thing. I think Corey's got the right idea on purchasing a bundled package. It will probably save you a few bucks down the road since the industry is trying to pimp 3-d TV's into the home right now.

Plus if you get a 3-d TV with RealD, you can get a pair of Oakley 3d gascans when your ready for some new glasses. Check it here

On a side note, not knowing your age or if you have family/kids around, I figured I'd throw this in. I heard rumblings years ago about 3d being problematic for young children. I did some digging and found this articleon Audioholics that outlines the research done and the results. Long story short, long term 3d viewing for children under the age of 7 can have some pretty serious side effects. I'll let you check the article out for yourself if your interested. Hope that helps some.

Come this December, Toshiba will will start selling what would be the world's first 3-D televisions that work without forcing viewers to put on special - or goofy, as the case may be - glasses to enjoy the full experience. Toshiba offered a first look at its new flat panel television during the Ceatec technology conference taking place this week in Japan. the liquid crystal display TVs flatpanels will be available in 12- and 20-inch versions. The cost will range between the equivalent of $1,400 and $2,800. Unfortunately, this very cool and groovy-sounding product is only going to be sold in Japan for the time being. No word yet on Toshiba's plans to

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20018413-501465.html

Just something to think about

When the medic kanes mentioned 3d glasses into screen implemented TVs come out then its much comfortable and easier to watch 3D and I dont see why it shouldn´t triumph like once colour TV did:P

But whats about current TVs then I just read article about it in technic magasine(must be hot stuff) and there were compared different manufacturers with different options for setting 3d\2d settings like color\contrast etc and besides every TV has different quality and gadget features-like hdmi, dvi, saving on HD\USB etc. So might think about what you want to watch\game with 3D TV the most and then choose picture quality or gadgets, as I understood. Also some TVs have better view in higher angle values- the picture don´t go dark when watching from sides. If I had extra money just gathereing inflation in bankaccount I would also try 3D TV out. Have been in cinema several times and eyes getting tired in the end, but well monitor does the same trick in the end, but the effects are really amazing. Only thing I want to bash on 3d are movie directors. MORE 3D effects!!! ;)(like bullets flying into my face etc)