Sick trickjumping

SickOne

• Clan Friend

nice jumps.

btw, I was thinking about one thing, isn't it weird that when best players fight, they are not even close to perfection (that is giving hs all the time), while instead top gammajumpers perform moves which are close, if not equal, to perfection?

I mean, wtf, they follow the 'perfect angle' all the time... I wonder if anyone has ever performed such insane gammas in lan, if yes, then I quit et because I am too bad :hmm

edit:

@Achiyan

it's not the mod, it's a (rather hard) technique, which allows you to gain speed by holding some keys and moving your mouse in such a way that you 'follow' a specific angle, which (slowly) gets bigger and bigger.

For example, in the video he uses the so called 'halfbeat' technique, that is, he holds w+a and turns left, then d (without w) and turns right, etc. it's hard, because you have to follow the best angle to get speed, and despite the fact that after some practice you can sort of 'feel' it, doing it with that perfection requires superhuman skills.

Edited by SunLight

Well both of those videos are very nice, that's for certain. They aren't the limits though. ;p

If you pay attention, in the first video, you can see him intentionally controlling his speed. Trickjumping isn't always just about building up speed to make those huge jumps, but controlling your speed so that you can land in the perfect spot you need to be in to make the jump, and the jumps after it, without overjumping or falling short. Also, there is nothing special or superhuman about them. It just takes practice. The only thing standing between the average person and TJ skills like these, is merely determination. Some people have a natural talent for it though. Not to brag, but I was doing pro jumps 3 or 4 days after being shown how to TJ and finding my own style.

Achiyan, if you're really curious as to how it all works, that goes for anyone else too, check these short tutorials out. Start with General Basics on the right and work your way down the list. Shortly after you start reading it will all begin making perfect sense. :)

http://www.trickjump.me/tutorials/

Makes me wonder if he's using a TJbot. Some of those jumps look like he's coming up short on handbreaker. Then again I mainly watch nubs with some exceptions and this may just be far beyond what my brain can comprehend. Pretty awesome video either way. Thanks for the heads up on it.

• Clan Friend

Well both of those videos are very nice, that's for certain. They aren't the limits though. ;p

If you pay attention, in the first video, you can see him intentionally controlling his speed. Trickjumping isn't always just about building up speed to make those huge jumps, but controlling your speed so that you can land in the perfect spot you need to be in to make the jump, and the jumps after it, without overjumping or falling short. Also, there is nothing special or superhuman about them. It just takes practice. The only thing standing between the average person and TJ skills like these, is merely determination. Some people have a natural talent for it though. Not to brag, but I was doing pro jumps 3 or 4 days after being shown how to TJ and finding my own style.

Achiyan, if you're really curious as to how it all works, that goes for anyone else too, check these short tutorials out. Start with General Basics on the right and work your way down the list. Shortly after you start reading it will all begin making perfect sense. :)

http://www.trickjump.me/tutorials/

hmm, with 'pro jumps' after 4 days you mean which map and which jump exactly? etpro or tjmod?  I used to gammajump in 2007 (when tjmod didn't exist, and tj bots too   :) ) so I don't know many new maps, but I am just curious.

I know that you have (sometimes, and only in some gammas) to control your speed, but the hard part is going fast not going slow imho. Everybody can slow down. If going slow was pro and not going fast, then 2nd gamma in mrmen gamma would be pro, since even a noob like me can overjump the very 1st platform after the start. 

hmm, with 'pro jumps' after 4 days you mean which map and which jump exactly? etpro or tjmod? I used to gammajump in 2007 (when tjmod didn't exist, and tj bots too) so I don't know many new maps, but I am just curious.

I know that you have (sometimes, and only in some gammas) to control your speed, but the hard part is going fast not going slow imho. Everybody can slow down. If going slow was pro and not going fast, then 2nd gamma in mrmen gamma would be pro, since even a noob like me can overjump the very 1st platform after the start.

I actually like jumping in Pro more. I didn't really play on TJMod too much. It seemed.... off.. if that makes any sense. Also, slowing down JUST enough to make a jump or position yourself for the next jump takes a lot of skill, as unrealistic as that sounds. The difference between a pro slowing down and anyone else doing it, is more or less that the pro will make it look like he's not doing it at all and only slows down the smallest bit. Any ol' nub can throw there mouse in the opposite direction to ruin their jump. It takes a good bit of skill to effectively slow yourself down just a little tiny bit though. In my honest opinion though, a pro wouldn't need to use this technique much. The same effect can be achieved simply my not increasing your speed from jump to jump. Actually there are lots of gamma's out now where, if you only increase your speed on every jump, you're definitely going to overjump the ones near the end. But of course, there are others where you will have trouble reaching the end even by speeding up every chance you get.

It's impossible for me to recall the names of the maps after not having done it for like a year now. I remember starting on that Gamma Mill map though. The one with a ton of different TJ maps rolled into one map. I just started on the very first noob jumps and those were so easy I found myself overjumping too much to finish them. So I moved on to the gamma's and.. I'm not claiming to be a pro or anything, they're hard as hell... But after hours and hours of trying to do a jump.. I got further and further and worked out a line to follow through the jumps to the end. The only other maps I remember the names of were some random Hank maps and Mr. Men. I believe there were a few maps named Pro Jumps or something.. I dunno. That's about it though. I remember trying some of the jumps in both of those videos though. I think I had to stop playing ET before I ever really got good enough to finish them.

I remember playing with this guy who's been doing it for years, and he said he was really impressed, because I was only TJing for about 2 or 3 days before we met and I could do some of the more difficult jumps on the map he wanted to change to. I was still on Gamma Mill of course. :rolleyes: But yeah, I didn't mean to say I was a pro or anything. :P I actually think I sort of suck, because it always takes a bunch of tries before I get a jump down. Even then they can be just as, or more, difficult to do a second time. But yeah, I met that guy and he started loading up different TJ maps for me to download and try out. I don't really remember any of the names.. they were all on my old computer and.. well that thing is dead now. D:

Whoever said something about.. being amazed how perfect trick jumpers move their mouse and land in the perfect position and all that.. don't be! :P Trick Jumping is always the same no matter what. Each jump can be done perfectly, every time, so long as you figure out a line to follow through the jumps, when to move your mouse and how. It's all pretty simple and... difficult at the same time. While TJ skills are useful, they don't really play a huge role when it comes to actually playing ET against other people.

There's actually very little connection between the two. The reason why it looks like they move their mouse perfectly and all is because they've done that same jump over and over and over. They've at least been TJing long enough to know how to jump and move their mouse. Playing with actual human players is completely different though. You can't plan anything more than a few seconds ahead of time, so you don't REALLY know what's going to happen or when. If I practiced running around a corner and aiming at a specific object on a wall or something, to anybody watching a video of me doing it, it would seem like I have really good aim. Really though, I've just been practicing running around that corner and aiming at the thing on the wall. ;)

To be perfectly honest, watching someone jump and actually jumping are two entirely different experiences altogether. Whenever a person is jumping, they aren't necessarily concerned with where they're moving their mouse to.. in accordance to the visual aspect of the map. They're moving the mouse purely by instinct and feeling alone. They may as well have their eyes shut. At the very most, a person may only judge the distance they've moved from side to side visually. Even then they aren't paying attention to the actual map, only where the next jump is and how fast they're coming up on the next series of jumps and where they are in his field of vision. It's... sort of an illusion how it seems like they move their mouse perfectly.

There was a question if it is possible to perform such thing at LAN. Yes, it is. I'd only need my mx518 and my settings to do that. And why is it possible to jump with almost perfect angles, but impossible to shoot only headshots? Because when you jump, everything depends on you, but when you fight your enemy moves and you can't know for sure where he will move next. I have to say following someone's head with crosshair is way harder than achieving close-to-perfect angles.

• Clan Friend

There was a question if it is possible to perform such thing at LAN. Yes, it is. I'd only need my mx518 and my settings to do that. And why is it possible to jump with almost perfect angles, but impossible to shoot only headshots? Because when you jump, everything depends on you, but when you fight your enemy moves and you can't know for sure where he will move next. I have to say following someone's head with crosshair is way harder than achieving close-to-perfect angles.

well, of course fighting requires reflexes and coordination, trickjumps require 'only' timing and coordination and no reflexes, but it is still damn hard...

I tried that map love2fail (after more than 2 years of not gammajumping, and I was a noob even before, so...) I just get on the 1st platform and I need many attempts, that's why I was a bit skeptical about ZeeKoh's comment saying that slowing down is hard... my problem is going fast lol

Even though I hate those gammas where you have to slow down, and suddenly go fast again.

Anyway, some people are just unreachable, we can see it in videogames, but also in some other things (musicians, etc.) and the first reaction is to doubt, even if I know it's wrong... like in some music videos on youtube where some ppl say 'wtf? is it fast forwarded?'

Now, for music that comment is just dumb. The same for some videos of ppl solving rubiks cube in 10 seconds, and the usual dumbass says 'it is fastforwarded'. These things, and many others, show us that human beings are not all equal, so I wasn't doubting about *that*.

But we all know in videogames there are also other 'things', so I was curious to know whether there are lan events for tjumping or not, but I didn't want to offend anyone. It wasn't meant as a personal attack against you of course.