Your Job IRL

Handzz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your major subject in that one? Are you going towards Analog or Digital Electronics?

We don't have a designed major subject as such, but one of the more important subjects is Embedded computer systems and Electronics 2. So far I liked digital electronic more than analog, especially microcontrollers, but I'd like to know about both of those fields. I'd also like to pick up the best from both electrotehnics and programming world. I haven't reached bachelors degree yet but I'm going for master degree minimum.

Here's the university link about what I'm currently attending, I'm on 5th semester right now: http://www.fer.hr/en/education/bsc_study/eit/eri

• Administrators

We don't have a designed major subject as such, but one of the more important subjects is Embedded computer systems and Electronics 2. So far I liked digital electronic more than analog, especially microcontrollers, but I'd like to know about both of those fields. I'd also like to pick up the best from both electrotehnics and programming world. I haven't reached bachelors degree yet but I'm going for master degree minimum.

Here's the university link about what I'm currently attending, I'm on 5th semester right now: http://www.fer.hr/en/education/bsc_study/eit/eri

Eventually choose the one depending on your expertise. I was good in Digital Electronics and my friend was good in Analog. I have no idea what is an avg salary in your country but if you are good in Analog, here you can make 80-100K/year. It's very hard to find good Analog engineer here who know what they are doing. I feel Analog is the toughest one because you need to consider, timings, heat, power, design specs, etc. You do one mistake and everything gets messed up. I never liked working at electron level much because you need to remember too many things, formulas, etc.

SystemVerilog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SystemVerilog

Intel, Sandisk, nVidia, AMD, etc. all major chip designing companies use SystemVerilog now a days.

The one thing I would suggest is never pick best of both i.e. Analog and Digital. Choose either one of those and become ace in it. Companies here recruit based on how much experience and good you are, in your filed. Jack of all and master of none doesn't work in EEE Eng. field. Those saying only work at McDonald's burger selling jobs.

I'll have to take a look into SystemVerilog, we only used VHDL so far and no mention of Verilog. From what I've seen VHDL and Verilog are most widely used HDLs right now.

The sad truth is that if I stay working where I live right now, I'll probably end up doing something for work that isn't my field (at least not closely) so I'm looking into gathering experience about anything. Part of the people that finish the college I'm on now end up as being tech support guys in banks or ISPs (it's the McDonalds type of job) or as sysadmins. Right now programmers are more wanted than electrotehnic engineers. There are hardly any firms that do R&D or actually manufacturing any sort of electronic equipment or devices, and that's what I would like to do one day, build and design new devices, in the end that's what my education is all about. The average pay here is about $1000 per month while as an engineer the pay would be around $1500-1800 per month (I'm talking about the netto salary after all retirement and health care stuff are paid). What I would really wish is to find employment in EU (or wider) once we get in (and frankly it's tough to tell when will it be). I know people don't like when foreigners take up workplaces but I really believe there are better job opportunities abroad than here.

Going for one field is the best solution, but I don't want to end up knowing just my field and be completely clueless about anything other, especially fields that are connected with mine. Many professors here at college often say that people who are going for interdisciplinary fields are highly wanted.

All I can do is study hard and keep my eyes peeled for opportunities.

I'm currently a student in high school, hoping to do medicine, but in Australia, and more specifically Western Australia, the money is all in mining. I know a person who is an oilrig diver, basically works for 3 months, gets 250K. Truck drivers on the mines work 12 hour shifts, but can get 150K per year, for a pretty basic skill. And if you're a train driver, you're in luck, because they get paid like 300K+, but they went on strike recently lol

Im a Federal U.S Marshal Sniper

currently lutinent of the 5th best sniper team in the U.S i have a Masters in Law enforcement and staying at this job because i like it.

You have the most interesting job here so far Slayerz.