Need a job

Degritz

I am broke, but not dead yet, My job up here in Michigan sucks ass, worst I have ever had

I am a cabinet maker by trade, 16 years experience in cabinet making, trim carpentry, remodel, if it has to do with wood and houses, I have pretty much done it.

But my expertise is Custom cabinet making/ Managing cabinet shops (5+ years experience in management)

I am literally willing to move anywhere in the U.S.A. for a good job.. if you guys/gals see one in your area/state, etc.. please let me know, I really do need a job.

hehe, I am currently driving cab, while fun, due to our companies shit-for-brains owner, our business is being run into the ground, our dispatches are major fail, and are running our customers off to our competition faster than we can make new ones, and nothing we say to the owner seems to make a difference on how they do customer service.

Anyway, I am looking online for a job too, but thought I could drop a post here, feel free to talk shit about me being a redneck/nerd/nail gun jockey =D

Well construction in the US is at an all time low. Maybe you should even consider Canada or even further

• Administrators

Join IT industry and you will be never out of job.

Even cab drivers in my area make decent money. Well at least, I have to pay him 55$ each time I call him. They charge super high because they know you will only call them when you need to go somewhere badly and you have no other option.

Time for you to change careers my friend. Carpentry is over, at least for the next ten years until they have another housing boom.

If you are still collecting unemployment, then just keep on it as long as you can and hold out for a better job, never give up unemployment for a job that pays less than unemployment.

Truck driving is something that is relatively quick to get into, and the government may even pay for your truck driving school tuition (usually $3 to 5 grand). Takes a month to learn how to drive a truck, then you take your CDL test, then you get a job with a trucking company. The pay sucks ass, worse than an unemployment check, but they are always hiring, even in this economy.

There's always the military too.

Join IT industry and you will be never out of job.

It helps to have a skillset that you can combine with IT - for example you could be a carpenter who manages the accounting needs of local construction companies. Or uses Microsoft Project to organize the workflow needs of construction projects. Or uses Computer Aided Design to show customers how their cabinets (that he will also build) will look in their house.

A lot of employers want people who can multi-task. It's the new trend now, it helps them reduce headcount and save money.

Just getting an IT degree by itself is not a guarantee of success. You would have to compete with the vast global supply of new IT grads.

Hmm, well I live in Northern Michigan, not the UP, Traverse City to be exact.

As for my IT skills, I am not horribly proficient in Microsoft Exel.. Word.. ETc.. being that I rather hate Bill Gates and all his shitty software.

I do pick and learn how to use and tweak programs in a hurry though.

I have dabbled extensively in C and some in C++, But seems I have no time now to mess around with them much.

It was 8 years ago last time I used a cabinet modeling program to show a customer what their remodel/kitchen would look like. It was faster to draw a scaled 3d sketch by hand than make it on the computer. Never used Autocad though.

This program, was a $6000 program at the time, my Boss had training in it but after a couple hours I fixed all his messups in the setup and got it working.

I wont do truck driving, my one serious accident was asleep at the wheel, long runs seem to put me to sleep, and well, me asleep in an 18 wheeler is not a pleasant thought.

I am intelligent.. my dog told me so, it makes it easy for me to get jobs, usually learning in weeks what takes most months. Although I rather think many of you are in the same boat with me there.

I appreciate all the ideas, and have already been trying to learn HTML, and java script, but unfortunately for me my woman gets mad at me if I am on the comp and not gaming with her. (yes she gets pissed when I play COD4 and she is around, because her comp cant handle COD4).

I am not sure how much longer I can take her = the willingness to move anywhere in the country to get me a job.

Hmm, well I live in Northern Michigan, not the UP, Traverse City to be exact.

As for my IT skills, I am not horribly proficient in Microsoft Exel.. Word.. ETc.. being that I rather hate Bill Gates and all his shitty software.

I do pick and learn how to use and tweak programs in a hurry though.

I have dabbled extensively in C and some in C++, But seems I have no time now to mess around with them much.

It was 8 years ago last time I used a cabinet modeling program to show a customer what their remodel/kitchen would look like. It was faster to draw a scaled 3d sketch by hand than make it on the computer. Never used Autocad though.

This program, was a $6000 program at the time, my Boss had training in it but after a couple hours I fixed all his messups in the setup and got it working.

I wont do truck driving, my one serious accident was asleep at the wheel, long runs seem to put me to sleep, and well, me asleep in an 18 wheeler is not a pleasant thought.

I am intelligent.. my dog told me so, it makes it easy for me to get jobs, usually learning in weeks what takes most months. Although I rather think many of you are in the same boat with me there.

I appreciate all the ideas, and have already been trying to learn HTML, and java script, but unfortunately for me my woman gets mad at me if I am on the comp and not gaming with her. (yes she gets pissed when I play COD4 and she is around, because her comp cant handle COD4).

I am not sure how much longer I can take her = the willingness to move anywhere in the country to get me a job.

Learn autocad then, and combine it with your cabinet making experience. Someone out there still wants their kitchen redone. People are still buying houses, they are just buying foreclosures for half the price of two years ago. Link up with these people. You could put up a website and work interactively online with customers all over North America, then drive to wherever the work is and do it for them. I'm sure this would be a good option for you.

If you can't find the software used on amazon or ebay you could get it for free if you know where to look.

Good luck.

I'm a Senior in High School in California.

I'm not sure what i want to do with my life exactly, but i'm in the DEP with the Marines (Delayed Entry Program), and the Military is always an option.

I dont know how great of an option for you it is since you do have a wife, and that would be tough, and especcialy if you have children.

But while attending school, and attending PT (Physical Training) with my fellow Marines in the Delayed Entry Program, i also work at McDonalds, which isnt that great... but i get lots of hours, and there are many Management postions open at the moment.... But i doubt your interested in a carreer in McDonalds.

But i wish you much luck with the job hunt, and hopefully finding one relatively close to home.