Legalizing Marijuana

PHANTASM

California is voting whether to completely legalize marijuana soon. You will be able to have up to an ounce (28.5 grams) legally.

If this measure passes in California it will soon be on the ballots all over the US.

In Missouri where I live it is "legal" (not enforced) in many areas, for example where I live the city sends out form letters every summer to people to cut down their pot plants. So many people grow pot they would not have room for all of them in jail. And stoners have no money, so forfeiture laws don't provide a deterrent. You can't fine a guy who grows weed because he has no job. He ends up in jail, at state expense, so it is more trouble than it is worth to arrest him.

Other states are more strict, across the river in Illinois you can got to prison for a few grams. So Missouri grows all the weed and it gets sent over to Illinois where the laws keep the price high. Kind of silly really.

Our drug laws are incoherent. This California bill might help, or it might make things worse, I don't know lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDbemoauTAU

I hope it becomes legalized. Imagine how many prisons would be closed and how much state/federal/local money would be saved if marijuana was legalized. Not to mention I am extremely interested to get my hands on some to study its anti-psychotic and anti-depressant effects at very low dosages (no not enough to get someone high although I may have to try that once :rolleyes: or twice ). Imagine how much money would be saved if there was no "war" on marijuana.... Law Enforcement could finally start working on real crimes.

if you forbid marihuana, whats the result of it?

ppl who want to smoke weed, they will buy, grow and smoke it anyway. And making these harmless smokers to criminals, costs a lot of money. the police, the justice, the prison bill, etc... And sadly these people are forced to cost the government even more by selling and buying the weed on the black market w/o tax.

If you legalize it, you can put all that money into education or other programs that prevent people from taking drugs.

imo thats not a question about right or wrong, its just stupid not to do it. :geek:

To solve this thing you need educate to people about drugs. Solve the issue, No make you part of it.

I agree but on the other hand weed makes people less messed up then alcohol does and yet alcohol is legal, I've never seen a high person do anything nearly as stupid as the stuff I see drunk people do nearly every weekend >.>

I agree but on the other hand weed makes people less messed up then alcohol does and yet alcohol is legal, I've never seen a high person do anything nearly as stupid as the stuff I see drunk people do nearly every weekend >.>

I know you're right about that weed is less toxic than alcohol since its made from a more natural process than alcohol,and i will be at favor with legalizing a little bit because maybe it could reduce all this violence in my country because of these substances that go to the USA through mexico, but what would happen after you legalize weed?

people would want to start to legalize other substance like Heroin or Cocaine,i understand you but wouldn't it be better to leave this substances even if one does less damage than other, they still do damage.

imagine in call of duty or wolfenstein; 2 guys shoot you in different a moment, the first guy has a sniper rifle and the second guy has a pistol, as gamers we know that the sniper rifle does more damage than the pistol, but what if the first guy only shoots you 1 time. It harms you a lot of damage but you get out alive.The second guy just goes into rage mode and empties all the gun clip over your body.Bang!!! your dead by something that deals less damage but in bigger quantities in can be as deadly as the other weapons.

That's why i don't drink or smoke (not because im some super religious guy or something) because i would be an hypocrite if i say "HEY DON'T LEGALIZE WEED IT'S BAD FOR YOU!! BUT I CAN DRINK LOTS OF BEER AND SMOKE TOBACCO EVERY DAY HURRAY!!!"

I used to blog about this alot.

Indeed, statistics show thousands of deaths related to alcoholism, tobacco, obesity just to name a few. However nobody can find a single death directly attributed to marijuana.

Secondly, if marijuana has no medicinal properties....then why does the US gov't have patents on two essential cannabinoids found in marijuana?

Third, legalization may not do-away with all of our problems. However it takes this drug out of the shady backalleys and into safer pharmacies and dispensaries.

Fourth, once it's available to the public legally, the less likely we will be reading stories in the news about drug cartels growing in our national forests and wreaking havoc at the border with Mexico. You're basically cutting out this dangerous middle-man and putting the cartels out of business.

I fully agree with legalization, save the fact that it may be even easier to fall into the hands of minors.

If it is legalized, there is going to be s shitload of red tape that will need to be figured out. Like whether or not applicants can be discriminated against for enjoying a joint in their non-working hours, or where it is legal to smoke or not...

This is an interesting, yet complicated thing.

Here in Finland some people are trying to legalize which is right in my opinion. I don't even know why they count marijuana as a druG? Well ok it makes you feel good, but what's wrong with feeling good? It doesn't get you hooked, it's way more healthy than tobacco for example... Or alcohol.

It's just the way the government and the authorities make people believe. To be honest, the government and the authorities don't know shit about what they're talking about, not in this matter, or in general either. They just want to look good in the eys of the citizens, I guess?

Third, legalization may not do-away with all of our problems. However it takes this drug out of the shady backalleys and into safer pharmacies and dispensaries.

Fourth, once it's available to the public legally, the less likely we will be reading stories in the news about drug cartels growing in our national forests and wreaking havoc at the border with Mexico. You're basically cutting out this dangerous middle-man and putting the cartels out of business.

This is just what i've been thinking about. Legalizing marijuana would ofcourse take it out from the backalleys an into the pharmacies, which IS alot more safe and trustworthy than buying from some random guy, while you don't even know what's in it! There's always the possibility for it to contain for example ratpoison or any other shitload of toxics which will apparently kill you.

And the people who has the right to buy it for medical use... Something is not right, is it? If the government allows several people to buy it for medical use, then what is it that you can't allow others? Do they think that people who doesn't have medical problems, goes nuts from smoking pot, or what's the point?

Weird... Still, legalize it!

Cheers!

ps. What a book I wrote there. Well, that's what happens when you have an interesting subject like this! :D

Edited by FunkybananA

ok let me begin by saying i have never smoked weed so i dont have a personal experiance swaying my judgement on this.

I know you're right about that weed is less toxic than alcohol since its made from a more natural process than alcohol,and i will be at favor with legalizing a little bit because maybe it could reduce all this violence in my country because of these substances that go to the USA through mexico, but what would happen after you legalize weed?

people would want to start to legalize other substance like Heroin or Cocaine,i understand you but wouldn't it be better to leave this substances even if one does less damage than other, they still do damage.

imagine in call of duty or wolfenstein; 2 guys shoot you in different a moment, the first guy has a sniper rifle and the second guy has a pistol, as gamers we know that the sniper rifle does more damage than the pistol, but what if the first guy only shoots you 1 time. It harms you a lot of damage but you get out alive.The second guy just goes into rage mode and empties all the gun clip over your body.Bang!!! your dead by something that deals less damage but in bigger quantities in can be as deadly as the other weapons.

That's why i don't drink or smoke (not because im some super religious guy or something) because i would be an hypocrite if i say "HEY DON'T LEGALIZE WEED IT'S BAD FOR YOU!! BUT I CAN DRINK LOTS OF BEER AND SMOKE TOBACCO EVERY DAY HURRAY!!!"

i understand that you dont want it legalized and i respect that here is why that statement doesnt make sense to me...

everything we do trashes our bodies. that is why we are not immortal. using your example eating food trashes our body so should it be illegal to eat chipoltle?

also if you dont want to do it thats fine... but just because you wouldnt use it doesnt mean that another person shouldnt be able to.

this is also what i hate about goverment it is people with super egos that think they can make decisions for other people. ur acting like goverment. ur basically saying "i wouldnt do that so im gonna make it illegal to do that" im sorry but i think every person should be able to decide what they do in their lives. if that includes smoking weed so be it.

another reason i would be for legalizing it is because of the money. lets face it because of obama we are in the biggest debt ever. one way to shrink the debt would be to legalize pot. pot is inexpensive to make so the goverment could put huge taxes just like they do on cigarettes. this would make them alot of money and also there would be less criminals so we wouldnt have to pay as much in jail fees.

finally i would not be for legalizing any drug but pot. the reason for this is because pot is a plant. crack and herroin are chemicals. i find it obsurd that the goverment prohibits a plant.... weed was put on the earth for a reason. also since it has medicinal purposes i find it cruel that people say "no you cant have pot even though it would make you feel better because some people get high off of it"